New
Find
Notify
Tools

shot first ever measured group today.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well today i was getting ready for season sighting in. Ive never measured a group but today i shot a 7/8 inch 3 shot group. This was form a model 700, .308 winchester. I was also using factory hornady 150 grain interlocks. not bad from a factory gun. Im working up handloads for the 150 partition so im anxious to see teh accuracy of those. Also i measured form the outside of the farthest bullet to the center of the opposite bullet, with the third in between those two. Did i measure that correctly? Thanks

-John

Posts: 121 | Location: Central VA | Registered: 13 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
John, Here's how I do it, I measure the outside to outside of one bullet hole to see how much It(the hole) goes out when I measure the whole group, in other words, if you measure a 308 bullet hole, you'll have obviously a .308 measurement on your caliper, but the jaws of the caliper usually go past the soot marks left by the bullet, If I shoot a group where all the shots are touching, I measure outside to outside, then I remember how much I have to go outside of the holes to get the correct reading, usually 1/32" outside of the soot, then subtract the caliber I'm using, so If you get a .785" O to O minus .308, for a grand total of .477" Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
in other words, if you measure a 308 bullet hole, you'll have obviously a .308 measurement on your caliper,
I don't believe I've ever measured a hole that gave the same measurement of the caliber. That includes the "soot" ring.

I'll measure outside diameter of each hole with a caliper. Take each outside diameter, divide by 2, set your caliper for that size, and from two sides of the hole mark your center. I draw a straight line along the caliper, ending up with a hole that has an "x" in it, the center of the "x" being the center of the hole. This is done for each individual hole. Then comes the horizontal reference lines for Standard deviations, extreme vertical spreads, and height above aim point.
This isn't something you what to do when your in a rush.

Posts: 309 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote