New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need info on Lachmiller Equipment
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just picked up a couple of Lachmiller tools- a powder drop and a primer press. They're being shipped to me now, but i'm told there's no paperwork with them. I tried a few web searches but could find no helpful info. If anyone could point me in the right direction, and maybe give a little feedback on the quality of these items i'd be much obliged.

TJ

Posts: 66 | Location: Western KY Coalfields | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TJ, I have a Lachmiller primer seater (blue) and two of their bullet molds: The quality is second to none. Sometime prior to 1983, i.e., when I began reloading, Lachmiller was taken over by RCBS or so it would seem as the mold design and layout is identical to those made by RCBS. Hope this helps, ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Paul. I purchased the blue primer seater along with the powder measure. Since I can't find info on the web, i'll try RCBS based on your info, should I need parts, etc. Thanks again, TJ

Posts: 66 | Location: Western KY Coalfields | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When RCBS bought Lachmiller, they changed the bench primer tool to take their shellholders. I believe they have adapters. If not, you can make a longer push rod and use the press adapter. That would not work easily with the magazine-fed Lachmiller tool though, as the stroke would be too short. The magazine-fed tool uses a shellholder that has a radial slot in the bottom to accommodate the primer feed. It also works fine in the single-shot tool.

(The single is cam-actuated, the repeater is toggle-actuated to provide a longer stroke.)

Vega makes proper Lachmiller-Herter shellholders for your tool.

You must keep an eye open at gunshows for shellholders and keep in contact with a support group of Herter and Lachmiller shellholder scroungers. I once bought a Lachmiller press only because it had six shellholders with it.

Cheers from Darkest California,

Ross

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross,

Thanks for the info. I got my package today and the primer seater is the single cam-actuated type. I must be living right because the one shell holder included is for the 30.06 cartridge family, which is exactly what I needed. I did contact RCBS and they sell a kit to convert the press to accept standard RCBS shell holders. It will set you back 31.95. I think i'll take your advice and watch the shows. I do really like the unit, very well made and should last a lifetime.

Bad news is the Ohaus Du-o-measure that I so badly wanted had its' powder hopper busted in transit. I've sent another email to RCBS hoping to find something. It's a really neat powder measure, hope to get it going. The Lachmiller powder measure is pretty simple, non-adjustable type with a No. 2 barrel; don't really know if i'll use it or not. I always need trade-bait.

I did contact Vega and have a catalog on the way. Thanks fellas for all the info and help.

TJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will dig thru my junk boxes (loading bench) and see what I can find. My dad had all Lachmiller stuff way back when and I think I may still have a few of their shell holders around. I would give them away for the postage. I probably loaded 10000 rounds of misc. stuff on one of their presses and primer tools. We even had a couple of sets of shotgun dies but I don't know what ever happened to them. They made you really appreciate a MEC loader.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bet I'm the only one who has the orginal instruction and parts list for the lachmiller priming tool. The priming tool I've got is when they they changed over so you could use different shell holder from rcbs,pacific,lyman and cost on the tool was $8.95 and kits for the different holder were $5.95 each. So made the cost about $15. If can to give me address I'll send a copy to you. I've still got the orginal four priming rod plus allen wrench that came with it alot don't know they made primer rod for flat and oval primers. You got a good tool.

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Thanks for the offer. I was hoping someone would have this info, since I couldn't find it anywhere online. I'm sending a PM now with my address. Thanks again, TJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
CGB-

I will gladly pay the postage and then some for the shell holders. All i'm reloading now is 25.06 and 30.06, but I plan to expand to .38 and 444 marlin, and who knows what else. I do like well made, simple tools, and the primer tool sure fits that description.

PM me with the postage amount and where to send it and i'll get it on the way. Thanks again, TJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
TJ, I had the same problem with the one I bought and checked with RCBS: They no longer have parts for the excellent Ohaus Du-o-Measure. They will offer to swap the old measure for a new one if you'd like, but don't do it. Rather, try searching for a plastic bottle that will fit the measure, even if you have to use electrician's or duct tape (another use for it!) to hold it in place. ...Maven

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maven,

RCBS did not offer to switch, nor did they indicate that they would do anything to support the Du-o-measure. I'm not at all familiar with this measure, but first glances look promising. The adjustability is unique. Does yours throw consistent loads?

I filed a claim with UPS since it was damaged in shipment. RCBS stated the value was 84.95, the list price of a replacement RCBS Uniflow. If I follow through, i'll have to give the Ohaus to UPS for in exchange for the cash. Would you do this? I've never used one, and initially thought I might use the funds to pick up a new Redding, but I'm open to hearing your opinion.

Thanks for the info and I look forward to your response. TJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
TJ, The Duo-Measure does indeed throw consistent charges of powder, but that is also dependent on the powder type; i.e., how coarse or fine the grains are. Mine will throw very accurate charges of WC 820 (milsurp, similar to H110 and AA #9), but less so (10% variance) with another very coarse milsurp, IMR 5010 (looks like a bloated version of IMR 4350, but is much slower). Actually, it's the only powder measure I have that will throw 5010. Before you make a decision (keep v. filing a claim), why not experiment with it and the powders you typically use. (Keep a notebook with the various settings for future reference should you hold on to it.) If it meters them consistently, you'll know what decision to make. Btw, the Duo-Measures are certainly well made. Except for the damaged hopper, mine was in excellent condition (minor cleaning & adjustment) when I received it. ...Maven