New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ok....Just for fun !
 Login/Join

posted
I have more handguns than I deserve...and
The wife is right when she says that I shouldn't buy any more....but...

I want to experience the "magnum" experience.

I DO have a Ruger Security Six in .357 Mag
and
Ruger Blackhawks in both 357 Mag and .45 Colt

Both STURDY Pieces!

I am looking for suggestions on loads that would be appropiate for either of those handguns that would "give me the experience"

that is...... a HEAVY load.

Obviously I do reload (why else would I be looking here)

I favor (have on hand) Hodgdon Clays, Titegroup, and Power Pistol.

and can buy a small quantity of just about any bullet that might be suggested.( Currently on hand I only have Hard Cast Lead in those calibers )

I can also get another Powder if it is required.

I'm open to suggestions............

Where should I go ?????

It is the Mark
Of an Instructed Mind
Not to seek Exactness
But to accept the degree of precision
To which the nature of a subject
Will admit.
Aristotle

Posts: 11 | Location: No VA | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
If you just want to "experiance" heavy loads I`d buy a box of each with the heaviest bullet I could find and shoot them. There are loads out there by custom manufactures that use very heavy bullets and are loaded to the gills. If you want to load your own try the heaviest bullets and some 2400 or H110 powder. I don`t load heavy in my handguns so I can`t help with specific loads. The 45 LC with 300+ gr lead bullets and a stiff charge of 2400 should cure any desire to load hotter.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was about to give you some smart ass answer like 35 grains of Unique should give you that "magnum feeling", but I'm not sure how much experience you have. Asking someone else for a max load for your gun is dangerous. No 2 revolvers are alike. Max in one will blow the cylinder in another.

The best thing for you is until you become a very experienced loader is to stick to the loads in your manuel.....................JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
A Max Charge of Hogdon Lil' Gun under a 180 of your choice in your 357 Black Hawk will most likely give you all the "experience" you would want.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerI don't know what you would call "a magnum experience" but go to a shooting range that rents out some of the new .500 pistols with hot loads and you will experience a magnum buzz and proably be glad the old 357 has some normal loads in it. Loading a pistol just to see 2 foot flames come out the barrel and a 24 inch vertical recoil makes about as much sense as standing in front of a Locomotive running 90 MPH. Many a "magnum feeling" chaser has blowen a pistol into a thousand pieces just like the locomotive would do to you.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Freedom Arms 454 for bear hunting, and have shot it about 5 times other than at bear. Thats 5 times too many, it is not pleasent.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by renaissance:
...I DO have a Ruger Security Six in .357 Mag
and
Ruger Blackhawks in both 357 Mag and .45 Colt

Both STURDY Pieces!..I'm open to suggestions...Where should I go ?????
If you happen to have some of the "older" Speer Manuals, they were written using those revolvers. The loads shown in them can be a bit tough on some of the "older" S&Ws, so don't let a buddy pick one up and stick it in his to try out.

I really like the H110 and 158gr jacketed Flat Points in my 357Mag using the "old" Loads in my Ruger for Deer hunting(aka Bambi Blasters).
---

One other option you might want to consider is just buying a box of 125gr Federals. You will end up with some new cases that are normally excellent and get to have the "Magnum" experience for sure. If you don't like it, you still end up with the cases and haven't bought stuff you no longer want. Then if you like it, get the H110 and bullets of your choice. Be SURE to wear your ear plugs.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I used to load 25 grains of IMR 4227 behind the 250-grain cast Keith semiwadcutter in my .45 Colt Blackhawk. That load was plenty hot enough for me!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by b beyer:
I have a Freedom Arms 454 for bear hunting, and have shot it about 5 times other than at bear. Thats 5 times too many, it is not pleasent.

I have a Taurus Raging Bull .454, and it is not at all unpleasant to shoot - no worse than a M29 S&W .44 maggie.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I havn't handeled a Raging Bull and do not know how much it weighs or the stock design, but this F.A. with oversize rubber grips is a S.O.B.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
quote:
Originally posted by b beyer:

I have a Taurus Raging Bull .454, and it is not at all unpleasant to shoot - no worse than a M29 S&W .44 maggie.....

I shot my buddies .454 raging bull, it was MORE than my .44 Ruger, but not so much that it was too much! The design along with the built in muzzle brake make it quite controllable.

As for the "magnum" experience, the 45 colt with a stiff load of blu dot or 2400 behind any 250 grain bullet would get you the desired effect.

A .357 just don't do IT for me anymore. Too tame!

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote