THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Matchking a hunting bullet-a real sensible Question

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matchking a hunting bullet-a real sensible Question
 Login/Join

<BorisBarker>
posted
Hi
Maybe i am missing something here. This is on the basis that a lot of guys use .224 bullets of a match variety for hunting varied animals. As far as my research has gone none of the great bullet makers offer a say 69/70gn boat tail bullet for hunting medium game. (yes speer have a 70gn round nose!) Surely these would be a winner and we wouldnt need the discussion regarding the use of Matchkings on animal (say goats and pigs)Come on Mr Nosler make us a 69gn Balistic Tip. for our 223s and 22-250s? What do ya reckon?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler does make a 60gr Partition bullet. Some people think it's just the thing for the small Texas whitetails (about 100 lbs) out of the 223 and 22-250. Probably works well on small goats/sheep and medium sized preditors like lynx, wolves etc that generally run under 100 lbs.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boris most factory hunting rifles in 223 do not have a fast enough twist to stabilize a bullet longer than a 60 gr. spitzer or a 70 gr. round nose.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned several .223 rifles that shot very well with 60 grain spitzers like the Hornady and the old Nosler solid base. I also got satisfactory accuracy out of the Speer 70 grain RN. My rifles were Remington 788 ond an Olympic arms AR copy. The 69 grain bullet weights definitly need faster twist barrels to get accuracy.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote