THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Splitting hairs, Barnes TSX .30 cal 165 vs 168 grain

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Splitting hairs, Barnes TSX .30 cal 165 vs 168 grain
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted
With all the positive postings on Barnes TSX bullets I'm getting the itch to try them myself.

From the Barnes website they list both a 165 grain .30 cal bullet and a 168 grain .30 cal bullet. Besides the obvious 3 grain difference in weight the 165 has a BC of .505 while the 168 has a BC of .476 -- still not much difference. Not in any practical sense anyways. If I had to guess (I haven't bought either yet) the difference is in the ogive shape. So which one do I want? IS there also a difference in the shape and depth of the hollow point? IS there a significant difference in the way they act after impact? Does anyone have both bullets they can photograph side by side? . The cartridge will be .300 Weatherby. Is one of the other better suited for magnum velocities versus a standard '06 or .308 Win loading?

Thanks for any feedback, Dennis

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why they have both is beyond me too. I can only think in the past with the accuracy complaints they tried to go to the 168 bullet as that is a size well known for match grade bullets like match kings and hornady's. They started putting "match grade" stickers on the boxes of the 168's--I think just to lure people into thinking they were really something special. BUT, all kidding aside I do see in general very good comments onthe 168tsx accuracy in a variety of calibers from .308 to 300 rum. I have some of the 168's on hand and my first loads have been average accuracy but I do need to play with them some more.
I can't speak for the 165's but I would recomend you start with the 168 I guess just because barnes seems to be promoting them as the accuracy flagship of the 308 bullet.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
Thanks, kraky.

I fired off the same question to Barnes and this was teh reply I received.

quote:

Hi Dennis

The 165gr XLC Bullet has a higher BC because of the more slender, longer ogive. Consequently it is more efficient. The 168XLC has a little rounder ogive and is more accurate. So it is a question of accuracy vs efficiency.

Unfortunately I don't have a side by side photo of them.

We Aim to please, reloading is a great hobby, enjoy it.

Ty Herring
Barnes Bullets
Customer Service Director
P.O. Box 215
American Fork
Utah 84003
Tel 801-756-4222
1-800-574-9200
Fax 801-756-4222
Email: email@barnesbullets.com

I think I'll go with the 168 grain to optimize accuracy. The Weatherby should start it out fast enough that the slight increase in efficiency won't matter.

Still wish there was a picture of both to compare.

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
I've been seeing the 168s for a long time so I got some. I think I saw n Cabelas or some other site in the last couple of weeks (maybe it was the Barnes site) NEW----165g TSX!! so I think they have just recently come out. I also got some 168g XLCs to do a side by side but I know there have been 165 XLCs around for a long time too as both are in their latest manual which I think is about 4 years old now.

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is more to this story. The 165 will open up more easily than the 168. The 168 has a "target" bullet profile with more material up front that is more rounded and maybe more accurate, but also tougher.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 168 gr. TSX has shot really well in my .300 Wby Sako. Both RL22 and IMR 7828 produced good results with a slight edge going to RL22.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote