New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’m looking for a good chronograph.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’m looking for a good chronograph. Does anyone have any idea what manufacture and model number is the best chronograph out there. Thanks

NRA Member
SCI Member & DSC Member
Double Rifle Shooter's Society So. Cal. Chapter

Posts: 62 | Location: So. Cal. | Registered: 16 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DIXIEDOG
posted Hide Post
Most people will give you the brand they own. Most chrono's are pretty good just get the one with the features you want. I would recommend getting one with a remote display so if you shoot the chrono you will only need to replace screens.

I have a Pact Professional XP with infared screens for shooting indoors or outdoors, I like the printer and the ability to plug it into my PC and transfer info from my range trip into my PC.

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
It's all in the bells and whistles you want.

The CED is a good package with the remote viewer and costs accordingly.

I use the Pro Chrono from Competition Electronics. There is no remote viewer and even with my old eyes I can read it from 5 yards but it can be attached to a laptop. It is very reasonably priced and has never missed recording a shot for me.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have put a handgun bullet through 3 chronographs.

I like the Pro Chrono at $100.

They always trigger.

And as long as I only shoot rifles over them, they last.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Most are pretty much the same but screen quality is where the diff. is. Oehler is the best IMO, but no longer sold from Oehler. The CED has a good rep. I have the Oehler & a PAct, have shot over the Chrony Master. Nothing beats the Oehler. I've shot dozens of rounds over my friends Chrony & it just misses too many shots. The screen area us very small, yo uhave to shoot about 4" over them. Any higher, you start missing shots, any lower, you risk wahcking the chrono. If I didn't have the Oehler, I would buy the CED w/ remote read.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a pro chrony from CED and based on other's advice also bought the remote for it.
It is VERY easy to set up and use. Don't forget the tripod. I bought one from Best Buy for $40 and it works fine.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Pro Chronograph

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375John:
I’m looking for a good chronograph. Does anyone have any idea what manufacture and model number is the best chronograph out there. Thanks

I'm sure you probably read the post I started a couple of days ago about the brouhaha over my PACT XP.

Let me just put it to you like this, the CED Millennium 2 (M2) is on sale at Sinclair's right now for $186. And they'll ship it for $10 priority mail.

https://www.sinclairintl.com/p...ct/7198/Chronographs

Dixiedog is right that the PACT can be downloaded to your computer, but via a serial cable. The last three computers I bought didn't even have a serial port. The CED has a USB connection according to the specs I read.

Good luck!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just used the CED for the first time on Tuesday and was impressed with its performance. It's easy to use and is easy to set up. Shot some factory 375 H&H loads, plus some start up loads for the 375 H&H and 300 Jarrett, and it reported pretty close to the factory specs and what I expected from the starting loads for both guns. Would recommend, got my from Dillon's for $199.00. The tri-pod and carrying case are extra, but worth it.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DIXIEDOG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenati:
quote:
Originally posted by 375John:

I'm sure you probably read the post I started a couple of days ago about the brouhaha over my PACT XP.

Let me just put it to you like this, the CED Millennium 2 (M2) is on sale at Sinclair's right now for $186. And they'll ship it for $10 priority mail.

https://www.sinclairintl.com/p...ct/7198/Chronographs

Dixiedog is right that the PACT can be downloaded to your computer, but via a serial cable. The last three computers I bought didn't even have a serial port. The CED has a USB connection according to the specs I read.

Good luck!

A USB to Serial port adapter is less than $10 and available most places. My computer has a serial port but when I use it on my laptop I have to use an adapter because it only has USB ports.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all... I have ordered the CED.
I'll post my progress once I receive it.
Thanks again!

NRA Member
SCI Member & DSC Member
Double Rifle Shooter's Society So. Cal. Chapter

Posts: 62 | Location: So. Cal. | Registered: 16 April 2009Reply With Quote