New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone reloading the .300 WSM?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone gaining any experience with this round?

I'm particularly curious if anyone is loading anything in the 110 to 125 gr. range or in the 165 to 168 gr. class.

Posts: 13877 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<anvil>
posted
I am having a serious problem reloading the 300 WSM! Have done 180 gr Sirrocco with H414 and H4350. They are all over the place with maybe one of five being up to six inches off. Same results with 165 Seirras. Sent the gun (semi custum on Mauser action)back to my gun smith and he says it checks out fine. He shot it with factory loads and I saw the targets...inside one inch at 100 yards. Any help?

<Peter Walker>
posted
Anvil

I've found my 300WSM likes Nosler Ballistic Tips and Failsafes pushed at factory load speeds. It doesn't like 4350, prefering Reloader22. Speed seems to be a big factor in its accuracy. If I load 180gr Failsafes to 3030fps it shoots 2 inch groups, if I back off to 2970fps it shoots .75 inch groups.

Peter

<anvil>
posted
Thank you Thank you! Can you give me the complete load with the Reloader 22? What you say makes sense as my gunsmith is shooting sub 1" with it using factory ammo. Now here is the big question.....If I can shoot my 30-06 at 3000fps with a 150 gr.....what is the advantage of shooting the 300WSM if I have to slow it down so much to get it to shoot strait? Here is what I am trying to do....shoot a 150lbs animal at 400 to 500 yards in high winds and have the animal drop in place. Trust me when I say this kind of shot is the only shot where I am hunting or I would not be doing it. I went the WSM to save weight over the 300WinMag but to gain bullet weight over the 30-06 in the wind. Looks like I made a mistake so far.

<anvil>
posted
Hey Peter.....just pulled out the Lee loads that came with my dies....they do not list Reloader 22. They list Reloader 19. Calls for 68grains with the 180 and state 2978fps. The most accurate load the list is with ACCUR 4350. Did you use H4350 or ACCUR 4350?
Thanks

<GAHUNTER>
posted
Anvil,

From what I've been seeing, most folks are having greater success with lower BC bullets in the WSM. The Speer Grand Slam seems especially well suited for the WSM. Also the Swift A-Frame. These are what I am loading.

As for the Sciroccos, in my experience, they totally suck. I know very few folks who have been able to get them to shoot.

<Peter Walker>
posted
Anvil

Sorry I took so long.

My most accurate loads are 180 gr Fail Safe, 69grs of Re 22, oal 2.82 inches, Win Mag Primer, velocity 2,970fps, will group under an inch at 100yds.

150gr Ballistic Silver Tio,73grs of Re 22, oal 2.82 inches, Win Mag Primer, velocity 3302fs, will group.

Remember to reduce your loads as these are near max in my rifle.

Peter

one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
Hi Folks I just found this Cool Place.
On the .300 WSM,as you may know Loading Datd is just now coming out for it form the Bullet and Powder companys.I've been loading for 1 in the Win.Classic Featherweight using 150gr Nolser&Sierra Bullets,various powders,and WLRM primer.
Very Accurate with all loads so far,But I haven't been able to get the Veloicty that The Data Shows,or the AD's on this caliber list.Staying inside the Listed Data my loads are running in the
3000 to 3100 fps range.Factory at 3200 fps.I haven't seen any High pressure signs yet.I have matched the factory 3200 fps but over the Max Listed Charge.
Question-Are any of you seeing the same?

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
<anvil>
posted
I just got an email from Accurate...they have a powder called "Magpro" with a 150 they claim to be getting 3313fps. But like I said, I gotta get a group before I can even get to eeking out more speed. Anyone used this Magpro?

one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
Guys keep in mind when trying to match factory ballistics that the Winchester barrels are 4 groove. I am also working with an after market 24" tube but haveing some trouble tightening groups up. So far my tube prefers RL19 and Varget. I got good results in a Winchester with RL19, Barnes 140 moly not XLC and CCI 250Ms. Nosler #5 reccomends VV550 for the 180 grain pills.
Good Luck
Dave

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote