Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need help IDing this bullet
 Login/Join

posted

A friend has some of these bullets that are pretty interesting looking. They are .308 hollow points. The silver band is some type of plating that reveals copper underneath when scraped with a file. Pretty sure that they were pulled bullets from looking at them so they may have been factory, or maybe some type of old military round? Has anyone seen these before? I'm curious as to what purpose the band serves and what these may have been intended for.

Posts: 5 | Location: PA | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Whoa, sorry about the huge picture... I'll try resizing it.

...much better

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Intresting slug ya got there. I dont recall ever seeing one like it before, but with the hollow point and it is obviously a heavy for caliber slug, it appears to be intended for both expansion and penetration. In other words, for heavy game. Thats my best guess.

It may have been something intended to hold up to high velocities before there were a lot of premium bullets made but after the magnum craze set in. Just speculating, but it is concievable that the silver plating was intended to reduce copper fouling.

Might be one of the earlier barnes bullets. They made some notoriously heavy for caliber slugs back in the day. Have you weighed it?

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Maybe some type of RWS bullet. They have some strange looking bullets.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Kynoch maybe?
It seems to me I've seen this before but don't remember where. It was interesting to me too.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A member on another forum said that he believes that it was made by western tool & copper works, intended for large game. I guess he found it in an old loading book. Haven't found anything online anywhere though. Not even a picture of anything like it.

posted Hide Post

Excuse my filthy hands. I was at work when I took the picture.