New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can cases for the 7x57 be formed from other calibers ? Say 30 06? Supply of 7 x 57 is sometimes hard to procure and I thought I might be able to use another more popular calibre.
thanks in advance
rob

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
7x57 cases are readily available...

Graf headstamp around $140/1000
Remington headstamp around $216/1000
Winchester headstamp around $237/1000

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robz,

Yes, 7x57 can be formed from 30-06 or similar brass. I don't know what form dies will cost you down under, but they may be worth the $$AusD if you have sufficient trouble finding 7x57 brass.

Does Bertram make 7x57 cases? If not, they might be able to recommend a die maker for you.

Regards,
BigIron

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Do you have a problem in Australia buying direct from US catalog venders? If I can help let me know. No charge for time. (to a point) [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Yes it can be done. I make some of my 8X57 brass from 06 cases. All you need to do is size, trim and you may need to turn the necks to the proper thickness. If they are left too thick then it could cause major pressure spikes.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. Importing firearm related products from the USA is a little tricky since SEPT 11. Many companies will no longer ship abroad.
If I can't find a reliable source here, I may take you guys up on your offers.
rob

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The easiest conversions are from 6mm Remington and .257 Roberts should those be available to you. You are going up rather than down and neck thickness won't be a problem. Necking down 8x57 is simplicity itself, but I am guessing that 8 mm is no more available than 7mm.

No need for form dies.

If you have to use .30-06, I'd suggest reaming rather than turning the necks. You can get a thick spot under the juncture and the shoulder that turning can't get and can cause major problems if you seat bullets that deep.

[ 11-30-2003, 00:07: Message edited by: Leftoverdj ]

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote