THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Light loades for the .223 Rem that will function in AR platform

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light loades for the .223 Rem that will function in AR platform
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend asked me earlier today about loading a 223 Rem round that would feed/function in an AR style semi auto rifle that was close to sub sonic? Looking through my manuels i haven't came across one that even gets close. So...What is the "lightest/function" round you've loaded for the .223 Rem? be specific please. thanks

Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far. -- Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I think you will find that they aren't so much light loads as heavy bullets loaded to subsonic levels. There are several that actually sell them.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewp...productnumber=136315
http://www.ableammo.com/catalo...hp?products_id=91045

As an example

In Theory QL will let you get down to 11-1200 with a 80-90 gr bullet using a 85-90% charge of real slow powder. Can't even begin to imagine how they would function.

Also NEAR sub sonic will have a report pretty much the same as a full load. Going super sonic is going super sonic. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a case full of WC860?
could be close to subsonic.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Antelope Sniper,

you could measure those loads in feet per minute...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WEll, it would be subsonic!!! Cool

When I get a chance, I think I will try that in my AR with some 69gr NCC's....just for grins.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote