Find
Notify
Tools

Case cleaning with GOJO Pumice hand cleaner
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of steve box
posted
Has anyone ever tried GOJO Natural Orange Hand Cleaner in a tumbler? A friend told me about it and I added a few squirts in my tumbler and it worked great. I dont think it has anything in it that would cause primer or powder problems. bewildered

Following and duplicating a successful persons actions is worth ten thousand hard headed mistakes

Posts: 128 | Location: AL | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I'd like the one with pumice in it. I'd be afraid I'd scratch my sizing die if some of the pumice sticks to the case.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Steve, Do you have any concern that the ground up lava remaining inside the Case will be blown into the Bore during firing?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can use Orange or lemon citrus based cleaners , but why ??.

Check my posting on Dawn Detergent . Why all of a sudden is everyone concerned about case cleaning ??.

Eeker

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve box
posted Hide Post
Hey, thats all good. I realize that case cleaning is over rated. I guess I just like clean brass. I have used dillon, several car polish brands and every media that money can buy. I guess I got to much time on my hands. I supose anything can become an obsesion. I process a lot of brass, a big part of it is range brass. People that buy it want it pretty. LOL

Following and duplicating a successful persons actions is worth ten thousand hard headed mistakes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny you should say that people want it pretty . So True !.

I only want it once fired ! Preferably from my chambers but then again I'm a realist and pick up

others once fired discards , when possible . I clean my brass and polish it but after I reloaded it

using BoeShield T-9 as lube . I found that when I wiped my cartridges off using old cotton socks

and left them set somewhere with other cartridges which I didn't use BoeShield on .

They remained shiny and cleaner without tarnishing . So Not only did it work GREAT as a lube

but the thin wax residue film it leaves behind was a BONUS !. Been using it over 20 years now .

My cousin was a machinist for Boeing and brought me some one day said it was handy stuff .

She wasn't lying it is GREAT STUFF !. http://www.boeshield.com/

I used it for spraying my Saltwater fishing gear . It worked so well on that I decided to start

using it on all sorts of stuff Never been sorry or disappointed .

My only regret is I didn't come up with it first !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. hammering

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I like pretty cases too, either brushed or gloss finish

but I don't like tumblers and don't own one.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:

Woods, you produce pretty cases. Wink They always look so nice.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

So how do you get those finishes without a tumbler? I don't have one either and would prefer not to get one.

Posts: 257 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and every media that money can buy

...coal slag...?? Available in 5 Gal Buckets usually used as a blast media.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrjulian_1970:

So how do you get those finishes without a tumbler? I don't have one either and would prefer not to get one.

Lee Zip Trim and scotchbrite or Flitz

trim

spread Flitz

hold rag against the case and spin

steel wool the inside of the neck

So trim, chamfer, clean case body and clean inside of neck at one time.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve box
posted Hide Post
Hey that is cool but now I got to buy a LEE ZIP TRIM and FRITZ....Thanks a lot!!! LMAO!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now there's a man with too much time on his hands!

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Woods, when cleaning cases, what do you use the Gobbler Call for? bewildered

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve box
posted Hide Post
Oh, one other thing, do I need an electric can opener as well, and what brand do you propose?

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
You guys just keep laughing! Big Grin

I can trim, chamfer inside and out, clean neck and case body and mica dust the inside neck of 50 cases in an hour

Add up all your trim, chamfer and tumbler time plus the cost of all that media and polishing compound and the cost of the tumbler plus all that dust in your chamber and inside your cases plus cleaning out all the primer holes of media................well who's spending more time and money?

To me y'all are just yammering away to no good

jumping

BTW: The Boss Gobble Call don't work worth a damn but that Hamilton Beach can opener is the tits!

I've tried it your way but has anyone tried mine? No, just blow smoke and miss a good idea when it's right in front of you (or behind you)

One of Us
Picture of steve box
posted Hide Post
Hey pal, all fun aside, I just orderded my ZIP TRIM and FRITZ from Midway. I stole my Wifes can opener, she dont need it!!!

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Then I take it all back. Don't forget the Lee 3 jaw chuck case holder

A ball cutter

and a case length gauge in your caliber

BTW, when I used to use a tumbler, I used a couple of capfuls of Turtle Wax Polish to the Walnut stuff, never tried GoJo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Add up all your trim, chamfer and tumbler time plus the cost of all that media and polishing compound and the cost of the tumbler plus all that dust in your chamber and inside your cases plus cleaning out all the primer holes of media................well who's spending more time and money?

Woods : I prep nearly 300 and load #200 in an hour , I never use the vibrating case cleaner

longer than an hour at the very most and mine holds #250 .223 and #250 .308 per polishing cycle .

What dust ? Primer holes media ?. I guess I've been doing it wrong because I don't have those problems !.

Then again I never used that nasty cob media . Since synthetics and ceramics don't break down and

have yet to produce any dust . I will admit I don't shine my cases too the extent yours are .

Heck I don't even polish out the annealing burn , mine for all intense and purpose look

like new Lapua brass . I sincerely doubt My chamber knows if a case is polished or brushed or tarnished .

You must enjoy being the neatest on the line !. I would dearly love to see your tactical box for BR

shooting . No rust on you buddy !. thumb

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc

Wrong again. No Br for me. All hunting loads from 6.5 rem mag, 280AI, 30-06, 300 win mag to 338 RUM. I only have to Flitz them the first time and that lasts for 4 or 5 loadings. They chamber easier and don't tarnish. 223 & 308's huh, sounds like BR.

Y'all go back to your vibrators and GoJo, I apologize for butting in.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:

Woods, you and I have had a discussion or 2 on case prep in the past. There is no doubt in my mind that your method works and works will. Whether it’s quick enough or hands-free enough for some people is the question. Hang in there, there are a lot more people that just read these posts than reply, your message (method) is not falling on deaf ears. Wink

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mic

I'm not really upset but someone mentioned pretty cases and I just couldn't stop myself. nilly

But I did butt in and shouldn't have.

One of Us
Picture of steve box
posted Hide Post
Hey Woods its all good and I learned something, I'm glad for your imput, I just wish you lived next door so I could borrow your stuff!!!!!This might lighten up the subject!!! A year or so ago a friend was tumbling about 500 .223 cases in a Dillon CV-2001 Tumbler, you know the big one. At the same time he was geting ready to go on a bike trip to the Coast for a week or so. The tumbler was full of fresh corn cobb and about 3oz of Dillon Rapid Clean, a little much but the first time you add it a little extra settles the dust. Well wouldnt you know he forgot to turn off the tumbler. When he got back home 10 days later it was still running, I guess Dillon makes a good tumbler. You should have seen the cases, they looked like glass and would slip through your fingers, they didnt even have to be lubed while sizing...I wonder how much longer that tumbler last?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc

Wrong again. No Br for me. All hunting loads from 6.5 rem mag, 280AI, 30-06, 300 win mag to 338 RUM. I only have to Flitz them the first time and that lasts for 4 or 5 loadings. They chamber easier and don't tarnish. 223 & 308's huh, sounds like BR.

It's I who owes you the apology Woods . I made an assumption and in my line of work that's not the

best Idea . I've personally never known a hunter who made Brass pretty . Most of them that I've either

hunted with or met , normally purchased off the shelf Ammo . The only time I've seen " Re-Loaded Ammo "

in the condition your pictures show are of a couple of BR shooters .

I'm not BR man either a little High power competition maybe .

I've Never known you to Butt in !.

On the contrary useful advise coupled with experience is what I see and respect !. patriot

One of Us
Picture of steve box
posted Hide Post
Hey I dont use off the shelf ammo to hunt with, havent for years. I use a 25-06 and only neck size. I have a bucket of factory loaded rifle shells that I have picked up on the range that had good dents in the primers and for what ever reason they didnt fire. I have read many articals in hunting mags that preach against it. I dont know why, I would put one of my pre fired re loaded rounds against any factory ammo out there. I get more veloicty,consistant groups with less recoil because I'm in controal of the bullet seating depth in relation to the rifleing and I know that that aint no secret..I also know my spelling SUCKS!!! I might regeret it tomorrow but today I wont shoot factory ammo.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Mic

I'm not really upset but someone mentioned pretty cases and I just couldn't stop myself. nilly

Woods I hope it wasn’t me, because when I said your cases were pretty, I meant it.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
It's all good guys, this has happened a few times before. No one likes my method Roll Eyes It is a PITA, sorta like turning necks or weighing bullets and cases.

I find the Flitz makes chambering a little easier and like Doc's Boeshield, it leaves a protective coating on the cases.

I used a tumbler for years but haven't now for the past 3 years. I never used any abrasives for additives cause like HC mentioned about the pumice, it might get in the chamber and bore.

A couple of capfuls of Turtle Wax is my recommendation.