Find
Notify
Tools

338 Win Mag load
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill Adams
posted
I need a safe load for a 338 Win Mag with Varget and 160gr. Barnes bullets. A friend of mine has loaded some with 76grs of Varget, but he has not shot any of them yet. The Hodgdon manual says 63grs max. Does he need to pull these or can he test fire some. Thanks for replys BA

Arkansas football will rise again!

Posts: 617 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 22 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
If anyone decides to "test" those loads, I hope no one else is close by. Good luck with that.

I'd say it is a minimum of 6-8 gr over max.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Been shooting a 338 WM for nearly 20 years now. My favorite powder is IMR 4350. I use Varget on small capacity case cartridges. My thoughts (without looking it up) is that Varget is far too fast a powder for the case size of the win mag.

There are better choices...

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Agree with Slowpoke Slim on that. IMR 4350 and a 210 Nosler Partition is all anyone should ever need, at least for North America !!! IMR 4350 also softens the recoil to a push, much like a black powder gun. I would think that Varget is way too fast and would give you one hell of a whack in the side of your face !!

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Ricciardelli at stevespages.com says with 160 gr bullets and Varget in the 338 win mag the range is from 57 to 70.5 gr. I have always found his loads to be truthful and his max is very close to all you should put in the case after working up.

Bet the 76 grains will lock the bolt up.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bowhuntrrl:
Agree with Slowpoke Slim on that. IMR 4350 and a 210 250 Nosler Partition is all anyone should ever need, at least for North America !!! IMR 4350 also softens the recoil to a push, much like a black powder gun. I would think that Varget is way too fast and would give you one hell of a whack in the side of your face !!

+2