Find
Notify
Tools

hoarder, shopper, sickness?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
Do you consider yourself a hoarder. Would someone else consider you a hoarder. Maybe you're just a bargain hunter. I've been counting rifle bullets. I can't believe what I have.

Question:
Are you a hoarder

Choices:
Yes I am a hoarder
Just a bargain hunter
Compulsive shopper
Planner
What else

Posts: 6480 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lived through several periods of high prices, lack of components, and primer shortages. I won't be caught short again.
So, yes, I hoard

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6642 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with planning for the future at all; Easy to tell the difference in a hoarder one who is rationally preparing for the future; if you have more components than you will use in your lifetime, plus ten percent, then you are either a poor planner, or a hoarder.
It's also easy to predict high prices and low stock levels from the level of talk about gun control by the dems. They are the ideal panic starters. I, too, have lived through all the ups and downs from the GCA of 1968 to now.
I tell my friends who have massive stashes of components that I can't wait for their estate sales because what your wife doesn't give me, they will sell for ten cents on the dollar.
Another group that impacts ammo demand levels is the "peppers" who primarily stock 22 LR ammo, and I know one who does that and she does not own a rifle. She has it for trading goods. I told her I didn't need to buy any food; I will just take hers; she just looked puzzled. Those are called lunatics.

Posts: 17269 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I've lived through several component shortages

These past few years I've put away a lifetime supply of everything I need plus some

I had no use for a black rifle until the feds said I didn't need one.

I now have an embarrassing number of them just because

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
It's always planning. Wink Especially when I bullets in a caliber I don't own. rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you think you have too much ammo, you probably don't own a machinegun.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
that is why i have gotten so many weird parts. 80 y/o buddy is dumping his accumulation.

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I can't wait for their estate sales.

Posts: 6480 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't wait for their estate sales

It going to happen I told my buddy when we reach 85 if we do we are going to shoot it all up.

But my son and daughter will if I don't.

Hopefully the grand kids also.

My dad told me of having a very hard time getting ammo during WWII. He said he was lucky to have brought five rounds of 30-30 win. The guy who had a box was only selling five round lots so 4 hunters could get some.

I told myself I would not have to worry about that.

If one shoots odd, obsolete and weird calibers it is very important to keep a good supply ahead.

Not much 351 or 401 win out there and many others.

Posts: 19575 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
It's always planning. Wink Especially when I bullets in a caliber I don't own. rotflmo

Yep, I always said that I was just being a bargain hunted when I was buying bullets for future use until I counted all the bullets for calibers that I have never owned.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12690 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
If you talk to my wife I am a hoarder, Remember several years ago when 357 brass was like hens teeth. I don't have to do without now. Remember when primers were hard to get not for me now. 22 ammo the same. My kids will end up with my hoard. But I am doing my best to use it up lol

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have lots of components, more than I can use in my lifetime. But I buy for different reasons and the reasons always demand I buy lots.

Reason 1: If I anticipate there will be a shortage, or if during a shortage I have an opportunity, I buy lots of components. I never know how long the shortage will last and I want to be prepared.

Reason 2: If there’s a smoking-hot sale, I’ll buy more than I need. So I’ve got hundreds of 130 grain Nosler solid base bullets for my .270 that I may well never use. I also bought lots of Partition Gold bullets and Fail Safe bullets for my .338 when they dirt cheap. Again, I may never use all of them but I just couldn’t pass up the opportunities. I have lots of 53 grain polytip seconds for my .22 CFs that I got cheap too.

Reason 3: When I’m working up loads, I buy a variety of bullets and, sometimes, a propellent or two I don’t already have. Just because working up loads is fun. But my habit does add to my inventory.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If it is "planned" it is not hoarding, that is called 'Planning".
If it is just buying up masses of components that one has no plan for, that is hoarding.

Posts: 17269 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

If it is just buying up masses of components that one has no plan for, that is hoarding.

shame Smartly investing in the future.
Example; In 2007 I bought about 3000 flat base HP 52 gr.Berger bullets for 9 cents apiece . I also bought 1000 55 gr same style for the same price.
Wink I wish all my investments were as gainful.
beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Bargain hunter....kind of

For example, this weekend I picked up two boxes of 300 Win Mag ammo for $15 a box.

Here is my dilemma: should I buy a 300 Mag in stainless or blue? Synthetic or wood?

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
It's called planning. Right now it consists of planning to buy all the stuff I don't reload for (like 22LR) before this F-ed up state requires us to have a license to buy ammo as of the first of the year. It is also planning for the future when they outlaw the sale of components (because of course the gangs are into reloading).

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
quote:

I had no use for a black rifle until the feds said I didn't need one.

I now have an embarrassing number of them just because

Bingo!!!! We have a winner here! Ted you hit the nail on the head!

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think of that old saw: “It’s better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.”

I feel that way about components: better to have too many of something than not enough.

As I said above: I buy stuff for different reasons. Therefore I cannot respond to the survey by checking a box.

For this kind of survey, I’d suggest this format:

==========Format begins=============

1) Yes I am a hoarder
2) Just a bargain hunter
3) Compulsive shopper
4) Planner

a. One of the above
b. Two of the above
c. Three of the above
d. All of the above

Please comment in a separate posting.

=========Format ends==================

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do a lot of Shooting therefore I use a lot of components for me a son, six grandsons, four great grands. I supply all their reloads for .223 up to 416. We shoot many .270 WSM's at Deer, .300-.338-358 at the larger game in North America and .416's in Africa. For the last twenty years I have been a super shopper or horder and now I have enough bullets to last the great grands children all they will ever need. Thanks to the Nosler Pro Shop I bought all the bargains offered in blems which I find as good as first line. I also accumulated many North Forks at Mike Brady prices for the larger dangerous stuff. I also accumulated thousands of Fed 210 and 215's as well as brass for many years to come. My purpose is for those after me to have to buy nothing. I also furnish all their rifles and get to develope the loads and perfect them by hunt time. Did I mention I also horde guns. Call me what fits just know I have a ball doing it. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm just gonna go with.
every time I buy a rifle I buy enough components to wear out the barrel.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:
Bargain hunter....kind of

For example, this weekend I picked up two boxes of 300 Win Mag ammo for $15 a box.

Here is my dilemma: should I buy a 300 Mag in stainless or blue? Synthetic or wood?

Buy both, of course. One for each box of ammo. That the only logical choice here

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I subscribe to the teaching of one Rudyard Kipling,
quote:
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a planner with limited space for my reloading supplies. Durning the past year, I've sold or given away components that will not be needed in the future. I've also stocked up on some discontinued components I use. And I've also stocked up on a couple one-of-a-kind components which. if discontinued would make a few rifles and handguns a lot less useful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dlcd:[ . . . ]
Another group that impacts ammo demand levels is the "peppers" who primarily stock 22 LR ammo, and I know one who does that and she does not own a rifle. She has it for trading goods. I told her I didn't need to buy any food; I will just take hers; she just looked puzzled. [ . . .]
This is a bit off topic, but I can't resist.

Back in 1999 I had occasion to visit my (very rich) niece and her husband. They lived in a very up-scale neighborhood and had amassed one hell of a lot of food and water in anticipation of the disaster that would occur when the century changed from 1999 to 2000AD . . . which would, they believed, begin the end-of-days because of all the computers that couldn't handle the change and the breakdown of, well, civilization as we know it.

They were prepared!

I asked how they'd protect their stash from the many people who were desperate and would descend upon them to take their supplies. She looked very sick and said: "We'll manage."

Needless to say, they did not own any firearms.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I don't consider myself a hoarder although after 45 years of loading one does accumulate a bit of inventory.Besides when I'm loading 45 ACP on my Dillon 650 the primers go fast so buying 5000 at a time is not unreasonable to me.The guys who really chap my ass are the ones who are going to Wal Mart in the morning,buying up all the 22LR @ $20.00 a brick then going to the gun shows + selling it for $100.00. Just screwing their fellow shooters.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not me, I'm a hobbyist, most winters I cast bullets and load ammo for months. I'd have to go back to my teenage years to shoot up my ammo supply.

How many SAW can's of 45 Colt, 38's, 40's, 30 carbine can a guy 73 n crippled up shoot before he's done?

Had a guy that used to come around and said one night.
"what's that bucket of brass worth?" "don't know, each piece is worth a quarter to a buck each at least, more so if I don't have enough" "man, you've got hundreds of dollars worth just in brass" "right, but, once they're loaded they'll be worth a buck or two each". "How many of those 38's are in that full bucket?" "I'd guess about 5000, and that one full of '40's is likely 9000 or more since it's not full" "DAMN!" Shut him up then.

He was looking at seven 5 gal buckets full or nearly full of brass. He never got a look into the rifle brass buckets. I know he was thinking of scrap price as he did lots of it.

I ran his ass off after I was in the hosp a couple weeks and discovered he'd come by to see my livein and then saw the two buckets that had been over running with .223 ammo was down half a bucket. Cops said: "do you have proof?"

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6003 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ran his ass off after I was in the hosp a couple weeks and discovered he'd come by to see my livein and then saw the two buckets that had been over running with .223 ammo was down half a bucket. Cops said: "do you have proof?"

Where was your livein.

I might be looking closer to home also. one just does not put that much ammo in a pants pocket.

Posts: 19575 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I could find Fed 215 M I'd hoard a lifetime supply. Anyone have a 1,000 or more they would part with?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote