New
Find
Notify
Tools

H-5010 Powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
H-5010 is gone and my supply is running low. I see Wideners has surplus 5010 in 8 pounders. Would appreciate any ideas on how close surplus 5010 is to H-5010. I am thinking they are one and the same and just military surplus. Looking for experienced input before I buy.

Thanks!!

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
same stuff - different lots

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Confused30378, What are you using the 5010 in? Never could find a cartridge that would completely burn the stuff. bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just that. A 30/378 with a long 30" barrel. I know it is not optimum velocity but the accuracy is unreal. 110gr of H-5010 and 175 VLD Bergers. I use neck sized 338/378 Wby brass and Fed 215Ms to an OAL of 3.745".

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not just get some more H-5010? Pat's has some advertised - "Virgin H5010 from Hodgdon bulk drums, 8 lb $79.99" Here is the link:

http://www.patsreloading.com/patsrel/whatsnew.htm

A little more expensive than Widener's but it is Hodgdon's product. I can't tell what make the current 5010 listed on their website is but the stuff I purchased through them several years back is IMR 5010.

Posts: 212 | Location: Longmont, CO | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up! I will check them out. I had no knowledge of Pats.