New
Find
Notify
Tools

Priming once-fired LC brass ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I’m trying to re-prime once-fired LC .223 brass that I’ve been told that when new, the primers were crimped in. I’m assuming this is once-fired military brass (range brass). It’s very difficult to re-prime; about 1 or 2 out of 5 the new primers are smashed & the case needs reprocessed. I’m using a hand primer. Any ideas or tips to make this easier ? A little afraid to proceed with hand priming. Any way to clean up the crimped primer pocket? Thanks for any help.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
RCBS, Redding, etc. make primer pocket swaging devices that work with your loading press.
I bought one of these time savers 25-30 years ago when I was gifted 2,000 - 3,000 45 acp cases.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or just get a broad reamer that will clean the edges but not touch the bottom of the pocket. Use a slow cordless screw driver if you want power. Does not take much.

Posts: 752 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lyman makes a primer pocket reamer! Actually two---one for large primer pockets and one for small!

Hip

Posts: 1894 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ream or swage; read up on it. I have used both methods, and also used a standard countersink, all work.
Standard stuff when you use military brass.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Or if you are feeling lazy send it to a brass processer and for around $50 per thousand plus shipping they will deprime, swage to remove crimps, size, and trim to length.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Interesting; never heard of such a thing.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Neither have I. You have a contact addy? I have a bench mount Dillon primer pocket swager for both large + small but it still takes time. I like the sound of your brass processor.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Interesting; never heard of such a thing.

There are a couple companies doing this. Some shooting buddies from Austin process brass. I will see them at Perry, I can get their business contact.

This is an example, never used this company.

https://blueridgebrass.com/brass-processing/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
THe Dillon Primer swager tool is tops in my book. Used it extensively.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I quite agree + intend to keep mine, but I like the sound of 1000 cases for only $50.00 processed seems like a deal if one values their time. I say (only )$50.00 but really, when was the last time you went to the grocery store? Sad to say that fifty bucks these days doesn't go very far.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I say (only )$50.00 but really, when was the last time you went to the grocery store? Sad to say that fifty bucks these days doesn't go very far.

Or filled up at the gas station.

Thank you Joe.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the pointed end of a RCBS deburring tool, 1 or 2 twists is all it takes in the primer pocket.

Posts: 356 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee chamfer tool

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a RCBS swager, and another of unknown brand thats old but works fine..and it doesn't hurt to ever so lightly give a twist of a deburing tool only on the very edge of the case..depending on the day of the week!! old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote