Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45 Long Colt
 Login/Join

posted
Is this cartridge the same thing as what is referred to as a .45 Colt? Sometimes I see dies which say one or the other. Can't find anything in my Lyman manual. Thanks

"A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Posts: 13 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.45 Colt is the correct terminology. There is no such thing as a "45 long Colt."

Posts: 43 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While .45 Colt is the proper term it is also called the .45 Long Colt to distinguish it from the shorter .45 S&W. This was made for the S&W Schofield revolver and is also called the .45 Colt Gov't. Often the gov't stocked just the .45 S&W as it could be used in both guns. All this has been confusing people for many years ! Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
45 Colt vs 45 Long Colt has been kicked around on more forums than I can count on all of my fingers and toes.

A strong case can be made for both arguements. Old shooters, like me, well remember when both the 45 Colt (long) and the 45 S&W (short) were commonly used and we called the 45 Colt the LONG COLT. Of course, it's technically incorrect but so is the 06, the Triple Deuce, and others which you won't find on any headstamps either.

But I think we may have entered a new era of arguing over this. I recently saw advertising for some "Cowboy Action" ammunition and the boxes were clearly labeled 45 Long Colt.

And I can show you both long and short cartridges headstamped "45 Colt".

JMHO

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Guess I just I just have to make sure the dies are made for "Colt" and not "S&W". And I'll have to be sure to measure cases! Thanks again.

"A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Posts: 13 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I HAVE A SET OF rcbs dies marked 45 Colt, I load 45 ACP 45 Colt, and 454 Casull, with the same set of dies. No problems! figure?

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeN:
I HAVE A SET OF rcbs dies marked 45 Colt, I load 45 ACP 45 Colt, and 454 Casull, with the same set of dies. No problems! figure?

Curious, how do you crimp the 45acp in your 45colt di?e

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always heard it said, if there never was a .45 Short Colt, how can there be a Long Colt. Some ammo manufacturers started using the Long Colt designation to differentiate between the 45 ACP and the .45 Colt. Perhaps a lawyer made them do it?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote