New
Find
Notify
Tools

fac. load data
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there anyplace to fine out what components are used in factory ammo (powder type,grains etc.)?

Posts: 87 | Location: lehigh co. pa. | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even if there was I'm told many mfgs use non-canister powder they don't sell on the open market. The exception that proves the rule is that I've read Hornady is loading their 6.5 Creedmoor with standard powder, bullets, and primer and lists the recipe right on the box.

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I too have read in a number of places, from a number of sources that the commercial ammo makers use non-canister powder--special blended powders to produce exactly the pressure they want. This powder is not for for sale to the public.

To get factory load results one would have to use the type of brass, primers, and bullets the commercial guys use (which you can probably determine) and then get a powder that produces velocities like theirs and try several loads until you find what produces those velocities in your gun. Oh, by the way, you'll have to use a chronograph to test the velocity of the factory ammo in your gun, since it probably won't be the velocity they list. You'll have to duplicate that velocity.

I'm in the process of doing what I listed above for my 30-06. My 30-06 just loves Remington factory loaded core-lokt bullets. I haven't been able to get anything to shoot as well. I've got some Remington core-lokt bullets ordered. I'll let you know how my project turns out.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote