New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to apply Moly
 Login/Join

<Mudruck>
posted
Ok, now that Ive have made the decision to use only Moly bullets after break in on the new 22-250. What is the best/easiest way you have found to apply moly to the bullets?

I dont mind buying pre-moly'd bullets, but when you can score 500 SP bullets for $20 and moly then yourself for only a few cents more, compared to the $14/100 of the pre-moly'd bullets the savings seem to be worth further pursuit.

Ive read a few versions of doing it, but almost all of them require a tumbler, which I do not own. One way that did spark a little interest is the 'peanut butter jar' method of loading up a large plastic jar with bullets and moly and rolling it on the floor for a while. I think the wife is finally used to my strange TV watching habits of cleaning/chamfering/priming cases( well thats now out after the vaccum-lost primer'accident' but thats a whole 'nother thread ), cleaning rifles, lubing cast bullets and doing other gun related stuff, so me sitting on the floor rolling a jar filled with bullets should fit right in.

I guess my main questions are...

1. Has anyone on the forum used the 'peanut-butter jar' method of getting moly into the jackets of bullets?

2. How well did it work?

3. How long did you have to tumble them before it set in?

4. Did you have to use some type of steel ball bearing in the jar or will the bullets do the impacting on thier own?

Thanks

Mudruck

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I've found the best way to apply Molly is to take her to dinner, then a show, and a few drinks afterwards...oh...wrong Molly...nevermind.

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<TomJ>
posted
Get a tumbler.
I usually tumble mine for an hour. I pity you trying to tumble them by hand for that long.

Edited to say: I tumble mine with airgun BBs.

[This message has been edited by TomJ (edited 03-08-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tumbling bumps moly particles into your bullet jacket instead of putting a sprayed coat on it, which cause problem like pressure and bore fouling. You should have two tumbling bowls, one regular, one moly.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
<2ndaryexplosioneffect>
posted
You don't want a standard size tumbler because it will damage soft pionts. I found a "kids" rock tumbler on Ebay for $20.00 with a little plastic drum about the size of a Planters peanut can. Makes just the right action for 100 bullets at a run.

I also found lab grade moly by the pound CHEAP!!!

100 bullets + small teaspoon of moly + 24 hours in the tumbler = better than factory done.

Shoot safe,
Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
You will need a tumbler...unless you plan on spending hourse shaking peanut butter jars...
I've coated bullets using peanut butter jars and it works great but you can't "overload" the jar or it doesn't work as well and you will beat the exposed lead tips on some bullets to hell. About 18,000 grains of bullets per 16 oz plastic jar is about right. Also, most bullets, excepting Hornady, will need to be cleaned or degresed before you moly them or it won't take. A mild quick wash in some warm dish soap will do the trick.
If it takes longer than about an hour to coat the bullets you have overloaded the plastic jar.
Finally, I'd advise anyone who gets moly from anyone outside the shooting industry (ie: NECO) to get a material safety data sheet for the product they want to use. There are many grades of moly out there and many of them for commercial applications have as much as 40% sulpher. The sulpher WILL react to pressure and will serve to erode rifle barrels.
I buy my moly from NECO and have moly'd thousands of rounds and still have many more to go from my little $20 plastic bottle. But I KNOW it is pure lab grade Moly... Saving $10 may sound great...until you end up replacing a barrel.
If I wanted to Moly only a few bullets I woould consider buying a can of Ms. Moly...its an aeresol spray designed for shooters. Its a lot more expensive than using powdered moly but a can will probably coat 1,000 bullets plus you can use it to condition your bore!

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you just want to do a small amount or to keep your tumbler clean. Use the peanut butter jar and place in your tumbler using shipping pop-corn packed tight around the jar.

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote