Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case Trimmer Accuracy
 Login/Join

posted
I am getting ready to invest in a whole setup of reloading equipment. I am debating between the Dillon RT 1200B electric trimmer and the Wilson/Sinclair Trimmer with the micrometer and clamp. The concept of the Dillon on a single-stage press sounds like a very accurate and efficient setup. Has anybody had accuracy problems with the Dillon?

Right now, I am more interested in loading for accuracy instead of speed. I want to load rifle ammo - currently 308 and 300 Win Mag. Someday I'd like to also get a progressive machine for pistol ammo.

Thanks in advance for input.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the RCBS power case trimmer,...and it is "dead nuts" accurate and square every time. Best part is,..it's fast too. I am chamforing a case while it trims the next one. A little off topic but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a RCBS and hate it. I had trouble with the pilot not aligning with the bullet. Called RCBS and they sent me out the post and bullet clamp. Helped some but you have to count on tolerances of the shell holder and the staightness of the posts. They told me to loosen the head that holds the bullets. But when you do that it never seems to get the bullet trims within .003". I am looking into the wilson, but trimming with the wilson can be time consuming but accurate. I looked at the gracey. Its a fine trimmer, but cost alot. I know alot of guys that love their gracey.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Wilson trimmer for many years. It is extremely accurate if used correctly. If you want to speed things up, get the power adaptor, costs only $7.85 from Lock, Stock & Barrel.

LS&B offers the complete Wilson trimmer, complete with shell holder for one caliber, for $34.65.(Pistol is $36.00).

Posts: 26 | Location: Tekamah, Nebr. | Registered: 26 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problems with the RCBS TrimPro and went with Wilson.You get into a rythym with it and its actually pretty fast.Get the electric screwdriver att. It sucks for pistol cases though,as they need to be seated with a mallet or arbor press.I can't see doing that on even 200-300 at a time so I use the Lee trimmer for them.
Jeff

Posts: 236 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many high volume shooters use Giraud trimmers. Many started with Gracey's. Not for the tight of wallet.

http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

Eddie

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Lyman "universal", and it's o.k. The drill/power screwdriver adaptability IMHO isn't great, and I've never found them to be any easier to use.

My favorite by a long shot is the Wilson, but I'd go for a Gracy if you have volume work in mind.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Lyman, and wasn't real happy with it. I'm using a Forster now, and couldn't be happier. I also have the outside neck turning attachment, and it works just fine, too.
Regards, George.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input, but has anybody had accuracy issues with the Dillon?

posted Hide Post
Pale Rider Sir:

The trimming of cases as long as they are reasonably straight will not cause in-accuracy, nor will the exact length cause you problems as long as they do not jam the chamber. I have used the Dillon for 10 years with "o" problems, and that is trimming 308 and 223 for the Palma matches.
Clarence

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Worlds best kept secret.... Lee Case length tim gage and an electric screwdriver/drill

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
You can go to www.ch4d.com and look at both the power trimmer they sell and the manual case trimmer.
The beauty of using the manual is CH will make you custom holders anytime you want, for whatever you want.
You should also mention to Dave his trimmer looks exactly like the Wilson, and ask why that is. There is a story behind it.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote