Find
Notify
Tools

Military primer pockets? tools?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Hi all, I've got a pile of 30-06 and 308 mil brass. I've been useing a casemouth deburing tool to try and take the crimp out. I also have a primer pocket uniformer, but neither seems to be doing a great job. What works well and is easy to use and cost less than $100? Has anybody used the Dillon tool?

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need the primer pocket swaging tool by RCBS. Works in your reloading press.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobertD
posted Hide Post
Yep! The RCBS tool works great; I have used it on a huge box of '06 brass and they all turned out just fine. It is also far less expensive than it used to be; I paid nearly 90 bucks for it a whole lot of years back but now I see it sells for less than a third of that.

It swages the brass perfectly, no more cutting or messing around.

I haven't used the Dillon tool, but I am sure it works just fine, as their tools usually do. However, this tool sits on the bench and the RCBS unit is a die that fits in your press. Different, but one could be better for you than the other.

RobertD

Posts: 269 | Location: East Bay, CA | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
The chamfer tool has always has worked well enough for me. You just need to make sure you are removing all the crimp.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Dillon tool, and it works very well. The pocket edges look like a non-military case does after going through the swager. I did 500 .223 Remington cases in about an hour two weeks ago. I mounted mine on a 1 foot piece of 2X2, and clamp it in my vice when using the swager. A good buy in my experience.

[ 11-27-2003, 11:49: Message edited by: techshooter ]

Posts: 46 | Location: Maple Valley, WA | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only way to do the job RIGHT is to swage it out with a Lee or RCBS primer pocket swagging tool. Reaming them by hand will never give you any two of them reamed exactly alike...but much of this silliness can sure give you carpal tunnel syndrome. I've got the scars to prove it. [Mad]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bore:
The chamfer tool has always has worked well enough for me. You just need to make sure you are removing all the crimp.

Probably the easiest and cheapest way to go! Just give the case a couple of turns.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get the Dillon, I have used it and the RCBS, and a reamer, and a C&H Swage punch. The Dillon does the best job the fastest. I didn't keep track ot the time required, but I processed 1000 surplus .223 with and RCBS and another 1000 with a Dillon (after my brother bought one I could borrow). The Dillon was many times faster and did a flawless job. I would buy one today if I had another 1000 brass to process.

Posts: 121 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a Wilson case trimmer, you can get as an accessory a primer pocket reamer (for both large and small primers) that works flawlessly.

But you do have to turn it by hand.

Posts: 26 | Location: Tekamah, Nebr. | Registered: 26 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the fore-mentioned RCBS tool that I use when there are many cases to take the military crimp out of.
I also, have several manufacturer's hand tools, that I use on no more than 5 cases. All these are easy to use.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote