New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be as much data in loading manuals using Federal brass as most other brands. Is this circumstantial or is it weaker/cheaper than others?

This is interesting to me because most of my brass is Federal.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Federal brass uaually comes by shooting factory ammo. Winchester and Remington can be purchased anywhere as brass.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That makes sense. Alot of what I have I purchased as factory ammo, some I bought once fired.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was at a gunshow here in Co and they had some new Fed 243 brass. I think you just have to be in the right spot when it comes up. Awhile back was some Fed 300RUM brass and afew years ago I got some Fed 300 mag brass. I still have some Fed match 222/223/308 brass just don't see it as much.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep an Eye out for sales on primed brass ( New ) when places such as Natchez has them .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
NMiller,
I've been down your road and can tell you by experience why Federal brass is not widely reloaded. In short, it is too soft.
It performs well by most measures except for longevity, even if you only neck-size, which I did. My primer pockets were loose by the third re-load. I blew primers out on forth re-loads. Only 20% were near max.
You will know by feel if a primer seats too easily. It simply wont feel like a press fit that can withstand ten of thousands of psi, and you will be right. Seating primers in Fed cases on their third re-load will take half or less pressure to seat than on their first re-load.
I got two or three loads out of the Fed cases I had, now they are in the recycle can.
I would use Federal cases again if I had to, but not more than 2 times, then they're gone.

Posts: 7 | Location: NC / GA | Registered: 08 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nikoms. Doesn't federal load some quite hot factory loads? How does this brass reload?

Wouldn't it pay to just reduce your loads, seeing as most calibres are more than powerful enough for their use? (If shot straight and placed right.)

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had problems reloading Federal brass .
Nor have I had problems with any other brass other than Winchester a few years back .
Longest life too shortest for reloading in 40 years experience . This is without annealing , with annealing well ?. I'll have to keep you posted as I'm still using cases older than I am !.

Laupa , RWS , LC , Old Winchester , Remington , Federal , newer Winchester ( 02-04 ). As I don't use Norma or Nosler or Hornady I can't say on those .

222 ,223 ,6.5 , 7mm ,7mm RM , 308 , 30/06 , 300 WM ,30/378 , 8mm , 338 WM, 338 LM , 375 H&H .

Along with some Odd Ball calibers in Military and Civilian configurations .
In so many different weapons from Semi Autos to Bolts I would be hard pressed to count them .

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I made up some 22 High-Power brass for my 99 Savage from 30-30 donor cases. First I tried some old Dominion brass and lost most because they crushed. Then I tried Federsl cases and only lost 1 out of 60 cases. I agree with the earlier poster who said Federal is softer, but in my case it was an advantage.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Federal brass holds up well compared to say... winchester.

Winchester has the highest capacity on average, but also tends to "die early" from neck cracks.
I REFUSE to be bothered to anneal case necks, it's a "bandaid fix" for the fact that winchester uses a very slightly different alloy for their brass.

Just look at polished up winchester brass, it's "whiter" than most other brass, that tells me it's got just a bit more Zinc in the mix. Now look at say... Norma brass... it's just a touch "more red" than Remington or Federal

Half or quarter a percent makes all the difference in the world.

Fpr Maximum effort loads with the really slow powders (example RL22 in the 30-06 with 165 or 180gr bulets, example2 RL22 in the 270Winchester with 140gr bullets)
I'll use winchester brass, but for most other things I prefer either Remington or Federal.

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the softer and usually of less internal capacity than its win or rem counterparts

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Courtesy of a school I attended (and 20+ non-reloading students) I've got a 13 gal plastic bin that's 90% full of once fired .308 Federal brass. I've also got about half as much .223 Federal brass. Most of that was loaded as "match" ammo.
The .223 is very soft, to the point that it had factory crimped primers for good reason. Two max loadings and it's toast. The .308 is OK for normal use and I'm probably set for brass for a very long time.
Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vintage Federal brass was among the best, but not so today. Not only is it soft, the primer pockets become loose forcing one to throw them out prematurely. Years ago Federal sold components. I'm still using some of that brass, and in a few lots I've got almost 20 reloads on them. I've reloaded their pistol brass so many times the case head becomes illegible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As usual everybody has had some same some different experiences with whom ever's brass .
No one can argue over the simple facts of lot variations or different % of alloys in one or the others manufacturing processes .

I will see if a friend ( if he has time ? ) will break down components of different brass cases as well as Military cases .

I'll use an average of # 5 cases each old and new .

I've never experienced primer pocket failures more in one brand than another .That comes to mind any way .
Then I don't proof my action on every loading either . Accuracy is not always dependent on highest pressure or fastest velocity .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the prospect of the primer blowing out dangerous, or will the bolt face keep it in place until ejection? I'd obviously like to get as much life as possible from the brass without being dangerous.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't suppose anyone will recomend the practise, but a friend and I shot quite a few loads with loose primers. Not so loose that they would come out when tapped on the loading bench though.

We didn't have any problems, they didn't fall out after fireing, we had no signs of gas leakage around the primer, so I guess the pressure actually helps seal the loose fit.

But, someone here on AR, a couple of years ago said you would get gas cutting on the bolt face.
Sure, I have that, but I don't remember seeing a used rifle or shotgun without said ring.
I think it's common enough, and may happen even with tight primers.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rojovin
posted Hide Post
I have stopped using Federal cases due to the loose primer pockets I have found in the brass. It has happened more often than not. Something to look out for.

Posts: 96 | Location: Long Island New York | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
federal 308 match brass is selling, on average, for .30 a piece at gunbroker.

all of my stored reloads are in federal brass. my shooting stuff is mixed but sorted.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen
Thanks for the info about Federal brass.
I bought 1,000 once fired match 308 for my AR10t. I've never experienced picking up a case that the primer was missing, this was on the forth reloading. Accurate loading but short life.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote