Find
Notify
Tools

Hogden Powders
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
2 questions if I may...
Are the Hogden Powders that much more temp stable than the others?
Any difference between the reg cut and the SC other than length and metering abilities??
Thanks

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Extreme Hodgdon Family of Powder is less temperature sensitive. Go to their website www.hodgdon.com to find out more info. The SC(short cut) powder do meter considerably better, that is the purpose of Hodgdon producing the SC.They are suppose to be identical in burn rate.

Posts: 110 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
The Hodgdon extreme extruded powders are supposedly engineered for better temperature stability, but I'm not sure if it's as good as the Hodgdon folks say. I use a lot of Varget and it seems to be pretty stable in the range of temperatures I shoot in (which isn't very extreme). It seems like I read somewhere that Alliant Reloader 15 had been found to be very temperature stable.

As for the SC (Short Cut) designation, those powders are balistically identical to the non-SC version of the same powders.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, have spent time on hogden's web site. been active on a thread in double gun forum concerning reloading for the 450 3/4. My current reload uses RL 15 and dacron but am motivated to try 4831 to get rid of the dacron. Just booked a hunt at SCI for the fall of 2012 and I am told that the temps can be in the high 90's in Sept, how much difference could their be between Hogdens, RL, and IMR....Thanks

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've use Hodgdon, IMR and RL powders for 30+ years. In my loading I never found an advantage to the Extreme powders. The SC do measure better.

MY go to powders are RL15, 19 and 22 never had an issue with temperature.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These questions are some what academic, but could one assume that if you were not creating MAX loads then pressures generated by large positive temp rises would not be as noticeable regardless of the powders manufacture. Could one all so assume that if loads were worked up in equivalent temp ranges ie if you were concerned about pressures shooting in high temps then work up your loads in those same temps. I'm sure I am going over board with this but any thoughts would be appreciated thanks

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
did a little test at the range a couple of years ago just because. I had sighted in my 30/338 @ 100 yds. It was july & 94 degrees down here in South Louiaiana. I reminded myself that where I would be hunting in Colorado the temp would be nowhere near that. Soooo I put 5 rounds in the ziplock baggie that I had used for a sandwich & stuck it in the ice chest for 30 minutes while i shot another gun. Took the cold ammo out & shot the target that I had previously shot. Same sized group but about 5 inches lower on the target!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've use Hodgdon, IMR and RL powders for 30+ years. In my loading I never found an advantage to the Extreme powders. The SC do measure better.
X2 tu2

For all practical purposes of reloading " ALL modern smokeless powder " is stable at ambient air temps ,so whether shooting in the Sahara or Arctic powder isn't going to be a problem ( Primer might be ), nor the load you develop at 74 deg.F at sea level .

The POI will change as it's related too air density coefficients . Like hiking up in Nepal say 18K Ft. and shooting across a canyon ,with that load you've developed at 74 Deg. F at sea level . You will most definitely see a POI change !!!.

If I've said it once I've said it 10K times , Sighting in where your Re-loading is fine but not sighting in where you're hunting is DAM FOOLISHNESS !. One MUST know where their firearm will impact at any practical distance , otherwise it's a CRAP SHOOT isn't it !.

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are the Hogden Powders that much more temp stable than the others? [/quote}

They are less sensitive to temps, not sure how to calibrate "that much".

Any difference between the reg cut and the SC other than length and metering abilities??

Length, and therefore metering qualities, are it.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they are more resistant to cold temps. That is my experience.

Posts: 144 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
The Hodgdon Extreme line is a good line of temp resistant powders but their are others, Ramshot for example. I've come to the conclusion that I don't care if a powder is short cut, as far as metering. I've seen SC powder not meter well and I've had long cut powder meter well. And it's not just metering but bridging. I LOVE H4350 but it bridges alot in my Harrell's Premium meter. What maters to me is if a SC powder settles into and fills a case better and possibly allows more powder into the case without any extensive compression. Mind you I don't mind a bit of compression, just not to the point it plays havoc with consistent bullet seating depth. In my Competition 6.5x47 I only use .001" neck tension and it won't hold up to lots of compression.
Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote