Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Herters shellholder
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking for a #24 shellholder for a Herters reloader. Anyone have one they would like to part with?
Thanks Steve

Posts: 24 | Location: northern michigan | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As you likely know, CH sells adapters so you can use regular shellholders.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found the saviour of my Herters press at www.vegatool.com. Some guy there who makes shellholders for Herters presses.

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CH Tool and Die sells something they descrbe as a "universal ram". It's supposed to work on almost all C and O presses. Sells for about $20. Might be worth an email to see if it fits Herter's.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for all the great info.
After I read your posts I did a search and found that others have the same problem getting shellholders.
Thank God for companies like Vega Tool and CH. We can keep these great old presses running.
When you grab a handful of an old press it just feels special.
Thanks Steve

Posts: 24 | Location: northern michigan | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
<'Trapper'>
posted
Some Herter's shell holders for sale on ebay at Item # 3611098044 - may be what you are looking for.
Regards,

posted Hide Post
I'm running a Herter's Super #3 and I need a shell holder for 35remington, I looked on the Vega site and couldent find a shell holder for 35remington, If anyone could tell me the number of the shellholder that I need it would be appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CMB3366,
Herter, (as others,) list the #1 shellholder for the .35 Remington, the same as the '06 etc. Other companies specify a shellholder number that is the same as the smaller 6.5 Mannlicher and Carcano. The '06 has a rim diameter of .473", the .35 Remington is .460" and the MS and Carcano's are .454" (nominally)
The too big shellholder would have a scant purchase on the .35 case rim, so plenty of lube would be a prudent ploy. Stuck cases are an aggravation. In fact, I might suggest sizing without the decapping rod first, in case you need to drive out a stuck case .
In any event, Vega will surely make you one that is really correct for the .35 Remington.
Cheers from Grayest California,
Ross

[ 06-02-2003, 03:25: Message edited by: Ross ]

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote
<'Trapper'>
posted
I'm a little late for this post but I may have good news for you - I've got a new in the box Herter's shell holder that I couldn't ffind when the press & etc left a long time ago. I'm not sure what number it is but as soon as I can get to the farm I'll check and post you back if you are still interested.
Please send me a personal email as I don't get here sometimes for a long period.
Regards,

<'Trapper'>
posted
Finally! Got back down to the farm and found the shellholder. It is a No 14 and I show this to be for the 348 Winc. It is NIB, doens't look like it has ever been put in the press but it does have some slight surface rust. Box still has the Herter's label and is marked as "$.93" - long time ago or what?
Please post if anyone is interested. Also found a couple partial boxes of Herter's "Wasp Waist Sonic" bullets if anyone collects the bullets or boxes.
Regards,