New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 7X57 Powder?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Year ago I purchased a Ruger77 in 7x57; very nice rifle. Back then there weren't web sites like this and all the data was limited by the old Mausers that were around. I experimented with a bunch of powders and loads, but finally decided on IMR4350 and the 150gr Remington SP. It seems that this rifle liked bullets with a long bearing surface, and this was the 150gr bullet with the max surface around. My stepson has that rifle now, but I still have those old Remington bullets. It would shoot 175gr Rem factory loads in a gloverleaf at a 100yds, but the best the 150's would do was right at 1". I used a hefty dose of IMR4350, and got velocities in the 27-2750 range.

Based upon the work I've been doing with the 9.3, I'd try some Varget today. It is a very nice powder; meters well; doesn't seem prone to pressure spikes; and has produced accurate loads over the range of velocities. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two 7X57 rifles and to date have not started any serious load development for either. I know there is a vast amount of 7X57 knowledge on this site. I'm asking these two questions and want the answer applied to both the small ring Mauser rifles and the Large ring Mauser actions:

1. Best Powder for velocity, and precision loads?

2. Best performing bullet in a military barrel?

I'll be watching this thread for your input. Thanks.

Posts: 30 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ik have two Ruger 77 Mk 2s in 7 x 57. Their accuracy was horrible, even with the bullets seated out long. Just before I was getting ready to rebarrel one and get rid of the other,I tried a load with 40 grains of IMR 3031.

ONe hole group at 100 yds! Previously 4 to 5 inches at 100 yds was the norm.

Now I load 40 grains of IMR 3031, regardless of bullet weight.

Honorable mention will go to 38 grains of RL 7 with a 140 grain bullet tho.

Cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote