Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Lee Factory Criming Dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

Why do you want to deform your bullets with a crimp die? If the bullet is deformed it can't help with accuracy. Am I missing something with this method. I don't crimp any rifle ammo and see no reason to.

If you have a reason I would like to hear it.

Go to the section of Accuratereloading where Saeed reports on his tests with crimping loads using these dies. His tests shows a small but measurable increase in accuracy with crimped bullets.

y own results tend in that direction too. With some loads in some calibers, crimping does improve accuracy a bit -- this without regard to whether or not the bullet has a cannelure.

In any case, even with bullets with cannelures, I don't crimp on the cannelure because I do not seat the bullets as deeply as would be required to have the case mouth on the cannelure.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of marquezlc
posted Hide Post
Is it safe to use the Lee factory criming die on a bullet without a cannelure?

Posts: 50 | Location: Northern NM | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep; go for it. I crimp everything. I like the extra kick it gives. The pressure you are creating between the fingers of the crimping die is enormous and the lead of the bullet is puddin' under it. The jacket is so thin it might as well not even be there.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Yup, just like they said. I don't have a lot of Lee dies, but I have a Lee crimp die for every rifle caliber I load.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Yup, just like they said. I don't have a lot of Lee dies, but I have a Lee crimp die for every rifle caliber I load.

EXACTLY!!

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote