New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hodgdon's Benchmark Powder ?
 Login/Join

<SD Handgunner>
posted
I have been in contact with a gentleman from Australia, about powders for the .243 Savage Striker with light weight bullets.
According to this gentleman, several of Hodgdon's Powders are manufactured in Australia for Hodgdon. His contact over there tells him that Varget is too slow burning for the Light Weight 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets in the .243 Winchester, and said that Varget works better with bullets weighing 70grs. and up in the .243.

His contact recomended using Benchmark in the .243 Winchester Savage Striker Handgun with the 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips. However when I went to Hodgdon's web site, I did not find data for any bullets lighter than 70grs. period, and the only data there for Benchmark was for 70gr. Bullets.

Any idea as to where I can find some data for Benchmark in a .243 Winchester for 55gr. Bullets?

Thanks

Larry

one of us
posted Hide Post
SD Handgunner,
In regards to Benchmark in the 243 Win, the current ADI Handloaders guide list 41.5gr of Benchmark 2 as maximum behind a 55gr projectile. Velocity is given as 3875 fps in a 24" rifle barrel. To the best of my knowledge, our "Benchmark 2" is sold in the USA as "Benchmark". Hope this helps.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
<SD Handgunner>
posted
Thanks for the info Con. I may have to try some.

Larry