Find
Notify
Tools

Load Development: The times we are in!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
I am a high volume varmint shooter from late March well into September. Last year I went through about 6000 rounds of several different calibers that I use to primarily shoot ground squirrels. I reacted to he component shortage last summer and stocked up on a few things while I could. Including primers that I had never worked with (5000 Magtech 7 1/2 SR primers) along with about 3000 Hornady .22 Hornet bullets 45 grain.

Over the winter I had two rifles rebarrelled; a Sako .222 and a CZ 527 17 Hornet. I've been working on load development as neither were fond of the load that the previous barrels liked.

Normanlly I'd start with about two different bullets and five different powders types and go with the two loads showing promise by accuracy and velocity and tweak from there.

But now I have to see what stock I have on hand. What good will it do me to find a load of x powder or x bullet if I don't have enough on hand to subsequently load up several hundred loads?

Normally I expect sub 1/2 inch loads with good velocity. Now I'm happy with 3/4 inch and don't bother to run it over the chrony because my I just don't have the choices.

Reminds me of the reloaders we read about years ago (like Elmer Keith) as their choices were so limited.

Looking forward to going back into the local Cabelas or Sportsmen's Warehouse and finding stocked shelves again.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My gut feeling is that it will be a long time, if ever, before things are back to normal. I fear this is the new "normal ".

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt, I have a cz 17 hornet that I really enjoy shooting. What bullets an powder do you use. I have been using 10gr of 1680 and 25 gr Berger bullet. Sounds like you probably have more experience than I.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now I'm happy with 3/4 inch and don't bother to run it over the chrony because my I just don't have the choices.

One well kill a lot of critters with a .5 inch rifle.

I would not complain to much.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slim buttes:
Matt, I have a cz 17 hornet that I really enjoy shooting. What bullets an powder do you use. I have been using 10gr of 1680 and 25 gr Berger bullet. Sounds like you probably have more experience than I.

Thanks in advance.

I went through a bunch of loads when I first got this rifle. The original barrel really liked 12.3 of Re7 and the 20 grain V-Max. But the new barrel didn't do so good with that load. I've got a goodly supply of Re7 so I found that 12.2 worked better. Your mileage may vary.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here's a secret.
a good barrel and a good bullet will shoot good.

pick a velocity with the powder you got on hand and go to it.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Matt. When this supply issue passes I will have to pick up some Re 7

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You stick to those load combinationa that work. Testing loads can burn a lot of powder, primers and cost you a lot of bullets.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader270:
You stick to those load combinationa that work. Testing loads can burn a lot of powder, primers and cost you a lot of bullets.

Agreed, and I'll say the current market and sheer pragmatism have led me to take a different look at load development. Instead of testing a given bullet with every appropriate powder I have on hand, searching for the absolute "best" load, I consider the purpose and what an above-average level of accuracy should look like. If I can get that with a given combination, I stop testing right there. No other powders, no more loads. I still enjoy it, but experimenting for the sake of experimenting isn't terribly prudent right now unless you happen to be stocked to the rafters and simply don't care.

To the OP, I'd say 3/4" is fine for a varmint rifle. Load 'em up and go shooting!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still use a single stage Pacific, have a 12 year old dumb-phone(flip-phone), and like wood on my guns. Isn't there an app that can get you in the ball park quicker without wasting as much powder?

There's a guy that comes to the farm with a .30 caliber wildcat that he won't reveal, a lap top computer and weather station. He'll shoot 10-20 times at 24" round plate 1200 yards away in about 1-2 hours. Hits it almost everytime, so I guess he's happy. Funny thing is he won't talk about it nor let anyone near his set-up. To each his own.

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in the shop today, feet kicked up on one of the benches, actually and old wood desk, and apprasing the amount of loaded ammo in my shelves!

It suddenly dawned on me that at my age, if I shot it all up by shooting for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, It would take me another 86 years and my great grand kids will be old people, but hey fear not Uncle Sam will have nuked us as terroist by then and Hillarys daughter will have become KING, at the rate were going that should be by 3-28-2022..

It might be wise to work up on load in your favorite calibers and live with it..and one load is really all you need in the first place..My grandad and dad used a 30-30 170 gr. corelokt for deer, elk, moose and pop even shot a Grizz or two with his..We can get by, thats for sure.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote