New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 8x57 Loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have found the S&B ammo to be quite good. I do not shoot a lot of factory ammo. I got the loaded S&B for the price of US mfg brass. It shoots around 2 inches in 3 different original iron sighted Mausers. Now I wonder how fast it is in the 29 inch long barrels.
Not that I really care but it seems an extra 5 inches of barrel is the cheapest way to high velocities combined with longer barrel life. Hmm, chamber a 29" barrel for the 8mm-06 or the 8mmX338 or the 8mm Rem. Naw - too much trouble for me but the velocities ought to be good.
Ed

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I am glad to hear that some have good experiences with S&B - I've only had bad experiences with them in a variety of calibers, 6.5x57 and 8x57 especially bad. I personally refuse to buy their products anymore. Just my experiences...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BrowningGuy - I used to get good results in my 8mms with 4895 powder. And I would suggest you load much lighter bullets. I suspect one of the reason your loads are all shooting HIGH is because of the recoil associated with the heavy bullets. Changing to a lighter/faster bullet is going to bring down your point of impact.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mine loves IMR 30301 at 46 grns w/150 hornady bullets.

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Nice looking gun, have you slugged the bore to see if it's a .318 or .323? Pre-war sporter sounds like a good place to find .318" bore.
If it's a .318" bore, I'd do a chamber cast to see what your neck diameter is to be sure that you have enough room for the neck to release without causeing high pressure.
I have a nasty Turk that I sporterized. The bore was worn severly. It wouldn't stabilize Speer 150's, but when I tried Speer 170's, it did great. I used IMR 4064 and got just over 2600fps and groups of .8" at 100yds.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend the 170 grain Speer instead of the 200 grain. I have been able to get some im-pressive velocities out of that one with some superb accuracy. Much better than the 200 grain loads in all 4 of my 8 mm Mausers.

Taking advantage of the long throats they have, it would surprise you! If interested email me and I will forward the load too you.

I am not going to post them on here, as I can hear the trolls screaming they are too hot.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The surplus AA 2230C is sub MOA with the Rem 185 corlokts in several of my Mausers. Never bothered to chrono them.

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a M48A Mauser that I load 44gr. RL15 over a 180gr. Nosler BT, it seems to be a mild load and groups real well. Best of luck to ya. Later,

Kirk

Posts: 166 | Location: Right in the middle of Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Thaks for all the notes guys, yes I slugged the bore and it's .323, this is probably a 30's vintage so a little late for .318 to still be real common.

Any way, interesting ideas on the lighter bullets, I tried the heavy's since it threw the 170 grain factory loads I tried about 8" high at 100. I'll try to order some lighter bullets in 170 and 150 grain to see if I can get impact close to point of aim.

Thanks again.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote