New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Brass Runout has me Runout
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does the Norma brass generally less neck runout than Win. or Rem..?? It should for the price.. thanx, Doc

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
It's better than domestic brass by a long shot, but just like ours, you get some a bit better than others. In 358 Norma Mag, those necks are almost perfect always. In 300WSM I've gotten some WW brass that's almost as good. Those that I got the necks required uniforming, but not nearly as badly as most domestic necks. Plus, their flashholes are drilled so have have to do nothing there, and their dry weight and capacity is far better than ours. I think Norma is worth it. Not as good as Lapua or RWS, but far better than ours.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Voldoc02,

While I can not disagree with the quality of the Norma brass on average being better then the American cases, I can say that for a high volume rifle such as a 22-250, you will be in the poor house before you get a good supply of it, unless this is a 22-250 designed for limited shooting such as a predator or walking vrmint rifle.

Trueth be told, every rifle will shoot better with once fired brass then with virgin cases, just the way it is.

The reason American brass is typically non concentric from the factory is that it is bulk packed, several thousand brass are packed in a box and shipped around the country, then when they are broken down into 100 or 50 ct lots, they are still loose loaded.

The Norma and Lapua brass are treated much softer then our brass and often in 20 round boxes tht totally protects them. This allows better brass to get to you but at a premium in price as well.

I recommend fireforming to get extreme accuracy our of all rifles weither its a full blown custom rig I build for my customers or a factory rifle, they will all perform better with fireformed cases.

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with it. you can't go wrong. IF..... AND I EMPHISIZE IF your runout is caused by non-uniform necks,yes, norma will help cure the runout. HOWEVER, I was having headaches with a couple of my cartridges with runout. I would FL size and things would be OK, but I would neck size in both calibers and runout was terrible even though I set up my dies correctly. I looked at the shaft of my press and it was worn pretty bad on one side. I have no idea how it happened. I then purchesed a new rock chucher and no more runout (minimal) with the neck dies and better than before with the FL dies. There is a good chance it is just your brass with the information you have given though. Just make sure your dies are square in the press and your press is in good shape (it should be, I just don't know what the deal was with mine).

Yes, concentricity is excellent on my friends norma brass THUS runout will be less of a problem all things considered. wall thickness was very consistant also. You can go by price, but I suggest buying from sinclairs. Outstanding company that guys like us have to keep in business. I doubt they are hurting, but it would be a pitty to see someone like that go out of business.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote