New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunshop Ammo Sticker Shock....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While at the local small guy rifle shop today, I was talking with the owner.. the shop was empty except for me...about Winchester, and what was going on in the firearms industry... as he just got back from the Shot Show recently....

Prices of firearms are definitely going up very steeply in my opinion... He also talked about getting more and more into reloading and reloading supplies...

I noticed a box of plain old Federal 260 Remington Ammo with a 140 Grain Sierra Bullet on it.... $32.50 a box! Then he indicated that there was going to be an average increase of about 12% on ammo prices this year!

Here I was sort of pissed off when I was looking thru the Cabelas Shooting Catalog I just got, that some of my favorite bullets were going up $1.00 to $1.50 a box!

With factory ammo that spendy, I am going to have to quit complaining about the cost of a box of Partitions!

I didn't realize how spoiled I have gotten handloading! It really looks like the firearm industry is getting counseling from the oil industry... as there are no major law suits etc, to use as an excuse for increased costs....

As for this kid, I am going to keep on handloading... shoot a lot of 22 caliber centerfires ( especially 223)... and instead of new rifles, I am going to be rebarreling a lot of rifles! from now on....

Usually a new year is exciting, on "what's new"... this year it is darn right depressing!

Bah Humbug!

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess I must be wrong..I thought the Shot Show was 9-12 Feb 06.

Rim fire guns are becomming my favorite,...low cost..no recoil and pretty quiet.

Everything else ya gotta stuff yourself!! The days of catching the gun shows late Sunday afternoon to get cheap ammo prices so the dealer didn't need to carry it home are over.

If you watch the chains and are there just the right time, you can get some deals. Kmart had Rem 22 short HV on sale for $0.50 a box. I talked to the manager and offered to buy all he had for $0.25 a box and he agreed.... 90 boxes at twenty five cents a box...no wonder they went chapter 11.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
The fire is set for the 2006 SHOT Show.
February 9-12, 2006
Las Vegas Convention Center • Las Vegas, Nevada

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
I've been stocking up on all the factory second/blemished bullets I can find. Laid in a big supply of the $9.95 .308 Partitons at Shooter Pro Shop and another 500 low budget .308 bullets at Lock, Stock and Barrel. Stocking up on all other components as I can afford them. If I had to rely on factory ammo I couldn't afford to shoot, especially with a new Weatherby to feed.

Probably putting another rifle, this one a 338 Winmag on layaway. Need get prepared now while prices are still sane and I'm still working too much OT.

ZM wave

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

Sounds like your gun dealer should be selling used cars instead of guns and ammo.

As mentioned, the SHOT Show isn't for a few more weeks yet, so he either has a crystal ball or is telling you some fibs here.

As an aside, anyone here going? I'm planning on it but now I have a conflict so I won't know for certain until the 30th of Jan.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire dont feel bad, I paid $30 for a box of federals for my wife's 243. Never again. Only reason why is cause she finally decided to go hunting with it, and nad no handloads to go. Spur of the moment type deal.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, your shop guy must have taken the long way home, it's almost time for the 2006 Shot Show.

I've got a project that is delivering about a year late, the vendor told me it was on time---I just didn't confirm Feb. '05 or '06.

Cheers--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
The ammo makers have been seeing increased prices for their raw materials, and higher energy costs too.

In the past I have bought components and ammo and just filed them away, now they are coming out. Wink

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

the "Shot Show" was my interpretation.. not his...He didn't mention that by name, it was Seafire's assumption.... I don't attend it, or follow it as I have better things to do any how...

He had indicated that he had been somewhere that he was in his motel room at a show where dealers were shown the new stuff for this year.... including Winchester.. It might have been something his distributor had set up....

I'll try to remember to take my Anti Alzheimer Meds the next time I go down there... so I can get it straight for you boys....

Maybe I was still tired from that long Memorial Day weekend on Jan 16th.... moon

cheers
homer, homer
I mean, seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
I finally got my buddy into handloading, at first he was just chucking his cases into the bushes. He shoots a 243 anyhow he shoot up a box and go spend 13 14 bucks on another I finally got dies and bullets and loaded him stuff up. He shot them and was amazed with the accurcy he was getting over factory stuff now he is over here all the time using my press to reload. Now he picks up his brass.

John

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote