New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS hand primimg tool
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm developing a bit of arthritis in my thumbs and finding the Lee Auto prime hand priming tool uncomfortable to use if I've got hundreds of cases to prime. It's served me well over the years and yes, I've wondered (but dismissed) if it contributed to the arthritis. Just asking if anyone can comment on the ergonomics of the RCBS Universal hand priming tool as I've never seen one and would be buying it mail order. I gather from the picture that you hold the body in the palm of your hand and use all your fingers to compress the priming lever. It seems OK but my doubts about the ergonomics and comfort of this style of tool go back to an old Hornady priming tool I had that never felt right in my hands, it always seemed to want to slip sideways and had a acute edge on the lever which made long priming sessions a real chore.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got both the lee and the rcbs. There is no comparison...the rcbs wins hands down for comfort and feel. I find with the lee I actually use two hands...I have to squeaze with a couple fingers on one hand while I use the thumb on my other hand to sort of push the tool back. The rcbs is just plain a real ez squeaze.
Also the primer holder is of much nicer quality and it feeds better on the rcbs.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my hands the RCBS is far superior ergonomically. If I were you I'd just order the RCBS unit from Cabela's or other supplier that will let you return it if you don't like it. It might even be worth paying a couple dollars more if you have to in order to be able to return something that doesn't work for you personally.
BTW I also much prefer the one with the universal shell holder head, it's much quicker to use since you don't have to switch out the shellholder before you can use it.............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I switched from the Lee autoprime to the RCBS Universal because my thumb got numb after a couple hundred primed rounds.

Not only is the universal shell holder great, but the large square tray is easy to load from square factory primer trays. The square tray feeds from the corner, more reliably than the Lee does from the circular tray.

You can also get the square tray upgrade to RCBS' standard hand primer, and keep using standard shell holders.

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm right there with the three before me, I think the RCBS is far superior, and if definitely takes less squeeze force (highly technical term)

The new universal model is the one to go with. I get four or five loading blocks of brass prepped, and then blow through the priming in one session, and don't have to worry about fooling with any shellholders--sweet!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ozzie,

I have both the older stype RCBS that requires individual shell holders, the universal RCBS hand primer and two Lee Auto-Primes. The RCBS universal hand primer is superior in every way, if for no other reason than you no longer need to find the shell holders. Ergonomically, it is superior. RCBS did a great job designing this tool.

Posts: 61 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 30 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bench-mounted tool may be kindest to your arthritis. You may want to evaluate both the RCBS and Forster tools.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Win69, I have a RCBS/Lachmiller bench tool and it is my favourite for one at a time priming as it has great "feel". I also have the larger primer tube fed RCBS bench tool but I don't particularly like its "feel'. I wanted another tray fed unit and to all the other replies, you have confirmed what I need to do and I will be ordering a new RCBS Universal tonight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
take a close look at the forster priming tool. it bench mounts, has universal shell holder and does both small and large primers.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Ozzie,

The universal hand-priming tool works OK in our experience. It's not "super" comfortable, but then again, what is? We've used it to prime everything from 22-250 to 416 Rigby without a hitch. It's got a few quirks to it, but overall it's a pretty efficient priming tool. My only major issue with it is, like most things, it's geared for right-handed people, and I'm left handed. Other than that, it's pretty good.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
take a close look at the forster priming tool. it bench mounts, has universal shell holder and does both small and large primers.

The Forster priming tool's "universal" shell holder must be readjusted for each different case head. This involves loosening three screws, adjusting three jaws, and re-tigthening. This is similar to the priming shell holder jaws (not the reloading shell holder jaws) on the co-ax press. I use a co-ax for reloading, but an RCBS Universal hand primer for priming.

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The RCBS Universal hand primer arrived today and I've just primed a couple of hundred cases. My thumbs thank everyone who recommended the RCBS tool. thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the RCBS APS tool mounted in a dedicated Lee reloader Press. It is so easy to use. I have tried the hand tools and hate them.
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I had the RCBS hand priming tool and tossed it in the garbage after I got the Lee. I wish I had known that the RCBS handtool had such a following, I would have given it to one of you.

The Lee priming tool is the only Lee product I use, but I love it.

Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzie:
The RCBS Universal hand primer arrived today and I've just primed a couple of hundred cases. My thumbs thank everyone who recommended the RCBS tool. thumb

Glad to hear you liked it! ......................DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put thin vinyl plastic strips, that have contact paste on the back side, on the thumb rests on my Lee Auto prime tools to ease the seating operation. But, in the end, I went back to a single primer seater as I get FAR better primer seating with them. I went the Sinclair single seater route; two of them, one for large primers, and the other set up for small primers.
Time isn't an issue for me. So, if it takes a few more minutes seating primers singly, that's OK. The primers now get seated to the bottom of the primer pockets using the Sinclair tool, and they were not with the Lee Auto prime tools.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had problem with RCBS hand primer not fully seating primers. The one with round primer tray.
Here is someting I ran across and I am checking into.

FAQ - Priming

Q. I'm having trouble with the Hand Priming Tool not seating the primer deep enough. What am I doing wrong?

A. You probably aren't doing anything wrong. The usual cause for "high" primers is caused by the shell holder not sitting down tight on the Primer Feed. This usually happens with older RCBS and other brands of shell holders--they simply do not have enough chamfer on the inside of the primer hole. To check to see if this is a problem, install the shell holder on the primer feed. If you see any daylight between the bottom of the shell holder and the primer feed, the shell holder must be replaced. If the shell holder was manufactured by RCBS, call for a free replacement. If you are unable to locate the problem, call RCBS Customer Service for help at 800-533-5000 (Mon-Thurs, 6:30am-3:00 pm Pacific time), or e-mail us your questions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use the RCBS APS tool mounted in a dedicated Lee reloader Press. It is so easy to use. I have tried the hand tools and hate them.
Lyle

I thought of that option because I have a few spare presses around but I tend to do the bulk priming of pistol cases in front of the TV and didn't want to set up a press even on a temporary pedestal stand.Besides APF packed primers are not available around here and I would then have to buy a loader and handle the primers an additional time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I put thin vinyl plastic strips, that have contact paste on the back side, on the thumb rests on my Lee Auto prime tools to ease the seating operation. But, in the end, I went back to a single primer seater as I get FAR better primer seating with them. I went the Sinclair single seater route; two of them, one for large primers, and the other set up for small primers.
Time isn't an issue for me. So, if it takes a few more minutes seating primers singly, that's OK. The primers now get seated to the bottom of the primer pockets using the Sinclair tool, and they were not with the Lee Auto prime tools.

Never had a problem with seating the primers correctly with the Lee tool and I do seat primers singly for precision loads using either an RCBS/Lachmiller bench tool or an old RCBS hand primer tool (not a tray type).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 21 October 2008 23:48 Hide Post
I had problem with RCBS hand primer not fully seating primers. The one with round primer tray.
Here is someting

Had the same problem with the Hornady tray tool. The priming stem just wasn't long enough to reach up through the shellholder and seat all primers to the bottom of the pocket. This was also the really uncomfortable to use tool.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So,perhaps the Lee special flat shellholders, and the fact the hand primer seems to spring load the holder in place may be better than those using any old basic shell holder? Some of them are quite loose around the cartridge rims.

Both my Lee's will easely seat way too deep if I push enough.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee's will wear out even if the pivot is lubricated. Mine wore out to the point were it wouldn't seat a primer below the Rim of a case. I Switched to RCBS tools and have never had the same problem again......................DJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well MY rcbs broke clean in half, so it wouldn't seat them at all. rotflmo

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about Austrailia but the maybe the biggest difference between the two is that if you call RCBS they will replace any broken or worn parts at no cost to you, you call and you'll be back in action in a couple days. With Lee they will charge you a signifigant portion of the original price (probably their cost) to fix stuff that's broken...................................DJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lee that I bought in college nearly 30 years ago and I still use. It is my preferred tool. I also have the RCBS for my 416 Rigby and 500 Linebaugh. They both do the job but the RCBS is a PITA to set up IMO.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote