Find
Notify
Tools

good load gone bad
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted
Anyone ever have a good or great load suddenly go average? My go to load for my 338-06, using RL15, used to shoot right at 1moa everytime. Now I can't seem to get them under 1.5moa. It's not the rifle, it's shooting lovely w/ H4350 (my new best load, sub moa), maybe a bad lot of powder? I'm not too worried, the H4350 load is shooting so well, it's just weird.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
Could be a new lot of powder could make that much difference. Also increased throat wear can make a pet load turn south.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I thought about throat wear, but using the same OAL & H4350, groups are right back under 1moa. I would think a worn throat would be bad for any powder & the seating depth would need changing. Weird.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Fred, I know a lot of folks " LOVE " the entire RL-Powder series, but they have just proven to be too erratic for me. It is really good that you have another Load that you can use for a Standard of comparison.

Best of luck to you and the RL Powders.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Fred, I know a lot of folks " LOVE " the entire RL-Powder series, but they have just proven to be too erratic for me.

I agree. When I shoot up all the REL powders I have, I will be hesitant to buy more. Lately I have found Hodgedon powders to be much more consistant lot to lot.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
Anyone ever have a good or great load suddenly go average? My go to load for my 338-06, using RL15, used to shoot right at 1moa everytime. Now I can't seem to get them under 1.5moa. It's not the rifle, it's shooting lovely w/ H4350 (my new best load, sub moa), maybe a bad lot of powder? I'm not too worried, the H4350 load is shooting so well, it's just weird.
Keep a log book on each firearm. List each load by lot numbers of powder, bullet, primer, brass. When accuracy goes away check to see what Lot number is different. When this happened to me, it turned out to be a bad lot number of bullets.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote