New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Case Trimmer cutting head
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any of you guys ever try to re-sharpen one of these yourself? I have worn out two of them (or dulled them to the point they are of no use) and I just wondered if it were possible to do that. I think they are just tool steel...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
Any of you guys ever try to re-sharpen one of these yourself? I have worn out two of them (or dulled them to the point they are of no use) and I just wondered if it were possible to do that. I think they are just tool steel...

I have sharpened Wilson trimmer cutting edges like you mention but I do not own a RCBS.
If you can get a fine India stone on the faces that are ground at about 6 degrees you should be able to do it. Look at them first with a magnifing glass. Then try to match the angle with your stone and give each edge one or two stroke. Look at the cutting edges again.
If they look better try the cutter before proceeeding. The trimmer cutters have the same cutting edge geometry as a piloted countersink.

Do you have one of the spring loaded power trimmers? If so you should up the spring pressure and never let it spin with out cutting.
As long as the edges are removing a good chip the brass will do little to wear the cutting edges. I only mention this because I have a 35 year old Forster that has been used with a power drill to trim several hundred 30-06 military cases back to 7.65 Mauser and 8X57 length. The 8X57 and 7.65 do use different parts of the cutting edge but I once calculated that I had turned more than 100 inches of case neck material into chips trimming just the 7.65 Mausers. I have always been amazed that the cutter has taken that beating and has remained sharp.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:

Why? They'll send you one from customer service (or they're cheap to buy.)

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Ive ground mine.......but not everyone has access to a grinder and harig head

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I just wonder why you wouldn't buy another?

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the problem, guys... they keep sending them to me gratis and I feel like there should be some remedy other than just throwing them away when they get dull.

What did the guys do 40 years ago?

I have a black whet stone that is used to hone surgical instruments. I think I will play with this dull one. I have absolutely nothing to lose...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had one since 1977 and it still has same cutter head, it gets used a lot.

NRA
SCI & DSC
9.3x62
375 H&H
300 H&H
450 Nitro 3.25

Posts: 77 | Location: I been everywhere!!! | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much nickel brass have you ever trimmed with it? I just bought a carbide cutter; I should be set for life, but it wouldn't hurt to have a spare just in case I am wrong... that is the reason for the original post.