New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder burn rate vs bullet weight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am trying to understand the relationship between powder burn rate and bullet weight. I am loading for a 7mm-08 22 in sporter bbl. If I understand correctly I will get better accuracy with a little slower powders with the heavier bullets and better accuracy with the lighter bullets using a faster powder. Do I have this right?

"I will not raise taxes on those making more than 250k"

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, there is no magic formula for accuracy. What you have right is that, generally, slower powders give higher velocities to heavier bullets, and vice versa..
Not always. Depends on the bore to case expansion ratio.

Posts: 17290 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What dpcd said.

In a given caliber, slower burning powders for the heavies and faster burning for the lighter pills as a general rule. Keep in mind this is a starting point, each barrel is a story unto it self. Review the available data for each powder/bullet weight, I go with the slowest burn rate that fills the case. Find this combo and give it a try, use one of the popular methods, ladder or OCW and see how it goes.

I am having good results with the Hornady 139gr pills and Varget.

Best of luck with the 7-08
Carl

Exercise makes you look good naked, so does bourbon.....You decide

Posts: 189 | Location: Was Kansas, USA - Now South Australia | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i usually look at the load density of each different cartage i load. i try to stay around 90% load density. I usually stick with RL-15 or IMR 4064 with the 140's in 7mm-08, this gives me my best accuracy with velocity..

H-414/W760 gave me a little more velocity, but not as good accuracy.

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote