Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Is Sierra in denial ????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
POP:
Just my thoughts & that's all, but is it possible Sierra doesn't see that much of a market niche? I fully agree that their bullets are very accurate. If I were to do a lot of varmint hunting, I'd most likely use their bullets. I do think there is a "however" and that is that the largest game most people hunt is deer. While I'm not a deer hunter, I seriously doubt a premium bulet is required. Theirs should work just fine.
With the plethora of premiums on the market, maybe they don't see the profit margin. I well remember when Partitions were the only game in town, now look at the market place. I have no idea of the number of premiums out there. I only use Partitions or Northforks myself and find the Northforks more accurate.
My thinking on the subject for whatever it may be worth.
Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
I disagree with the premise that high velocity (aka .378 Weatherby) kills out of pure speed. Years ago I shot a young cow elk at about 50 yards. She was facing me dead on, and I threaded a .358 dia. 225gr Sierra GameKing between her shoulders. Notice I didn't say I hit any ribs. It killed her rather slowly, and I found the remains of the jacket in her liver. It weighs 57gr. It penetrated nothing but soft tissue. Muzzle velocity had been clocked at 2915 fps. You must have penetration to the vitals in order to kill! A shoulder shot would have been disastrous I believe. Conversely, I shot a 250gr. Hornady through both shoulders of a bull elk at 225 yds. (same rifle) and recovered a bullet weighing 138 grains. Better than a Sierra? You betcha!

Posts: 596 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Man, these guys wont give even after they see the proof.

If they saw you shoot the biggest trophy in the woods, hit him dead in the shoulder, and he died a few feet from impact all while using a Sierra (Which has been done on alot of occasions), They would say "You Got lucky, Those Sierras are terrible performers."

Some people are just too dang hard-headed.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
Of couse they set up their demos with Sierras. Even if the rifle was a dog it still might shoot OK. Show me rifle that shoots great bullets with no fuss and I'll show you a great rifle.

That fellows statement shows an utter lack of understanding about of the realities of tough duty hunting. In those situations when time and cover conspire to present a less then ideal shot, the bullet can and will make all the difference.

For many of my hunting situations lack of penetration is a absolutely not acceptable. Thus I simply can't risk going with Sierras.

I saw the ads and came to the same conclusion.......Sierra STILL doesn't get it.

Gabe

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote