New
Find
Notify
Tools

good .35 Whelen loads anyone?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anybody have some real good loads for this classic? Does anyone have loads for the 280g Swift or the 310g Woodleigh?

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray Atkinson, where are you when I need you? Don't you have some past experience with the 280g or 310g bullets? There was another post by someone wanting the same info for a .350 Rem mag.

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
How about 60 gns of Rlr 15 behind a 200 grain Hornady @ 2775 fs or 58 gns behind a 225 for 2650 fs. Wink

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks westernhunter--these look good.

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
I'm using 55.5grs. of IMR 4895 with Fed. Match Primers and Sierra 225 gr. Gameking bullets. The cases are Remington. I seat the bullet at 3.35 oal. She shoots like a champ. Chronyed at 2650 fps.

When looking for the right powder for a new load:
  • I study my reloading manuals and find the powder charge that is right in the middle of the min and max load for each powder I want to try.
  • I then load one shell with the "mid load" for each powder I want to try, and shoot them across my chrony.
  • The powder that gives me the highest velocity is the powder I use to work up the load.

I seems to work pretty well for picking the best powder.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
    by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.
  •  
    Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    My own GP load is in Rem cases with Rem 9 1/2M primers, 59.2 grains of RL 15 pushing Hornady's 250 gr rn bullet. That chronys at 2624 fps with 7 fps SD, and will shoot tighter than I can hold it, even from the bench.

For a light load using Barnes 250 gr. solids, I use the same primer under 53.0 grains of RL 15. That makes a soft shooting load for taking small animals (duikers, steenbok, etc.) without blowing them up. A simple .358 hole in, same size hole out, and the taxidermist is happy.

In my playing around, I've found that primers make a heckuva difference in the accuracy of the loads, so I end up working with both magnum and standard primers when I'm developing a load.

All skill is in vain when a demon pisses on your gunpowder.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Hey sambubba,

This is the short version of data that I gathered on my Whelen in 2002. However, my Whelen was built to shoot heavy, long bullets. The action is long throated and the barrel is longer than usual. The recoil is quite easily controlled and comes straight back because of the Oberndorf style stock (very little muzzle jump).

I caution you - these loads were designed with "free bore" in mind. They may be dangerous in any other rifle. Reloader 15 can be temperature sensitive. When I did my initial tests the temperatures were in the 40s. One day when the temperature was in the 90s I went to the range and was blowing the primers out of the pockets. Sooo...be careful real careful. I started with about 50 grains of RL 15 and worked my way up 1 grain at a time. I checked for pressure signs after every shot. The 310 Woodleighs shot great for accuracy however, the velocity wasn't worth mentioning. I also started with 50 grains of BL C(2).

VZ 24 Action (long throated) w/27†Shilen Barrel and Aluminum Pillars; Barrel Glass Bedded
    RL 15
    280 gr. Swift
    Ave – 2,526
    FP at muzzle – 3,966
    1 ½ MOA

BL-C(2)
    310 gr. Woodleigh
    Ave Velocity – 2,275
    FP at muzzle – 3,562
    Sub MOA

Shoulder expansion was from .4360 in. to .4445 in. and head expansion was from .4635 to .4651. There was no measurable increase in the length of the trimmed case, 2.478 in.

All of the 280 gr. loads were compressed.

Good Luck, sambubba,

Smoker

Posts: 178 | Location: Pennsylvania - USA | Registered: 17 September 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.