Find
Notify
Tools

.270 Winchester
 Login/Join

<mt270shooter>
posted
Great shooting website...however....

Why no load data for the 270 Winchester? From what I've seen on the 270 Ackley on this site, it appears to be almost exactly the same (Powder Charge/Velocity) as the 270 Winchester.

Does the 270 Ackley have an edge over the 270 Winchester?

There's got to be some 270 Winchester shooters out there, Right?

<Zeke>
posted
The classic 270 load is 60gr of H4831 under a 130gr bullet. Reduce load by 3gr and work up.
There are other loads here:
http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=25;t=000272

ZM

<green 788>
posted
Ditto. Unless there is something mechanically wrong with your rifle, the 60 grain H4831/130 grain spitzer bullet load will shoot MOA or very near it. My pre 64 Winchester shoots 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups with boring regularity with this recipe... No mods except for a lightly glassed recoil lug bed.

Also, if you want an unbelievably accurate factory load, for 11 dollars per box of 20, go to Walmart and get a box of Winchester Super-X Power Point 130's. They're fantastic.

Let us know how things go...

Dan

<Fuzz>
posted
mt270shooter
Welcome,if you go down to Your Favorite Loads-Share Them With Us, you will find plenty of load data. Fuzz

<mt270shooter>
posted
Thanks for the replies. I have a load already for my 270 Winchester. I shoot 130 gr. Nosler Partitions (Spitzer), with 57.5 grains RL22. My O.A.L. is custom for my rifle. Great Shooter.
Winchester Model 70 Westerner, glass bedded, free floated, fresh barrel crown, Leopold rings/bases, & a Burris 3x9. Can't say enough good about it. Deer, Elk...whatever. No problems.

I was just curious why the ACCURATERELOADING.COM website had no data on the 270 Winchester. It's a common enough caliber. I was just wondering if there was any reason in particular that it is not used in any of the hunts mentioned on this site, as it works great for deer/elk sized game.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I'm always trying new loads...input appreciated.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mt270shooter:
Thanks for the replies. I have a load already for my 270 Winchester. I shoot 130 gr. Nosler Partitions (Spitzer), with 57.5 grains RL22. My O.A.L. is custom for my rifle. Great Shooter.
Winchester Model 70 Westerner, glass bedded, free floated, fresh barrel crown, Leopold rings/bases, & a Burris 3x9. Can't say enough good about it. Deer, Elk...whatever. No problems.

I was just curious why the ACCURATERELOADING.COM website had no data on the 270 Winchester. It's a common enough caliber. I was just wondering if there was any reason in particular that it is not used in any of the hunts mentioned on this site, as it works great for deer/elk sized game.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I'm always trying new loads...input appreciated.

Because almost everyone here poo-poos the good old cartridges. It has to have at least 13 upper-case initials after it, or "Improved" tacked on the end of it for anyone to want to discuss it.

Just for the record, the 3 guys and 1 gal I have hunted with in Montana for the past 16 years all shoot the good old .270 Winchester.

They use the .270 on antelope, mule deer and whitetail deer. (Not to mention a few gophers and prairie dogs.)

For some .270 data go to http://stevespages.com/page8c.htm

[ 11-19-2002, 18:52: Message edited by: ricciardelli ]

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm. You're right, there is no data in the reloading section. I never checked there before. Strange. Surely, Saeed, you must have at least one or two of this classic chambering, don't you? [Eek!]

I always found the 270 to work best with 130's using somewhere between 53 and 55 grains of one of the 4350's, although beating the W-W standard 130 Power Point loading from Wal-Mart that green 788 mentioned will take some doing.
(edit) Hey Dan, remember you mentioned breaking down one of those factory loads and finding some amount of a ball type powder that's not supposed to be available to us? I came across some Winchester Magnum Rifle powder in the back of my powder magazine last night. Wonder if it's close to what they're using? Also found some 785 (remember that?) in there. Let's see, some 130 Power Points from Natchez, some new W-W brass over in the corner, 1,000 WLR primers in the drawer - I feel a load workup series coming on [Smile] It would be great to duplicate that factory load. (end edit)

Speaking of 270's, I was nosing around my local gun shop last week, and came across a nice new model, not pre '64, 270 Fwt in the used gun rack. I remarked that it looked really nice, and the guy said "it should, it's new". Turns out the local Fire Dept had purchased it for a raffle, and nobody won it, so, he was selling it for them on consignment. Long story short, I got it for $500.00. Nice dark wood with some figure to it - a FINE looking shootin' iron, for sure. Then I got to thinking (historically, a prelude to many R-WEST $$ going elsehwere) that this would make a nice basis for a custom, so, I called W-W's custom shop, to see if they're willing to go through it and smooth everything up, etc.. Haven't heard anything from them, yet. We'll see.

R-WEST

[ 11-19-2002, 19:32: Message edited by: R-WEST ]

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Steve Ricciardelli wrote: "Because almost everyone here poo-poos the good old cartridges. It has to have at least 13 upper-case initials after it, or "Improved" tacked on the end of it for anyone to want to discuss it."

[Big Grin]

Excellent post! The more I hang around Steve's pages, the more I like the guy! Except--hey Steve--everytime I click on your Bronco page, my Internet Explorer crashes. What's up with that? [Confused] So I still don't know if your Bronco is cooler than mine... [Razz]

RWest,

I think you may be right about the Winchester Magnum powder. The charge is 59.2 grains of whatever it is. Check some data to see if 59.2 grains of the WMR would take the 130's to around 3K fps, and that may be the most likely candidate.

I've never bought into the "proprietary powder" bunch of Barbara Streisand. Yes, they may have a powder "proprietary" in name, but not necessarily in formula. The big powder makers are going to find a way to get a good powder onto the market. Federal calls the powder in their Gold Medal match ammo "proprietary," but it turned out to be good old IMR 4064! (Figger'd that out all by mu-self... yuk yuk [Smile] )

If you find anything out on the WMR 270 load, let us all know. With the added advantage of fireformed brass, better primers (possibly), and lower cartridge runout, all added together with the seating depth adjusted to suit the barrel's harmonics, you may end up with the ultimate .270 Winchester load...

Y'all take care...

Dan Newberry
green 788

<brewtcl>
posted
Does anyone use IMR 4831 for their 270 win with 130 gr. bullets? Dad taught me to use it years ago and I've just never switched, but I see a lot of other good choices. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
2 loads worked excellent in 2 different rifles for a couple friends this weekend.

Both are under a 140 hornady sst.

1. 57.0 H4831--shot .73" 5 shot group out of a gun that was shooting factory ammo at 3". I witnessed the group and measured--can you say "happy camper".

2. 52.0 I4350. I didnt seet it but my friend said he was under 2" at 200 yds--also happy camper.

I think I picked up these loads off of forums like this--but I know the 270 is usually a pretty accurate cartridge without much help!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
That IS a fine looking mobile, Steve. Ford blue courses through my veins. If I only had the money I spent on engines over the years, ohhh, the guns I could have..... Ahem, but, I digress.

Okay, heard from Leslie at W-W's custom dept this AM. They want $180.00 to hand-hone the action, smooth up the safety/square things up, lap the lugs and polish/clean-up/set the trigger to 3.5 - 4# (she says they can't go any lower due to lawyers); $97.00 to re-engine turn the bolt (I guess something happens to it while they're honing/lapping, etc..); $110.00 for a satin matte re-blueing job; and $50.00 basic service fee/shipping/handling. So, including the cost of the gun, for around $1G I'd have an actual "custom" (sort of) M70 Fwt in 270. Jack O'C would be proud, I think.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only 'HighPower' rifle I own is a Winchester Mod. 70 in 270
59.0gr H4831/WLR primer/ Horn. 130gr SP

58.0 gr. RL22/WLR primer/Nosler 140gr Bal. Tip

I've messed with other wieght bullets ranging from 90gr to 160gr but these 2 are the standards

Wes

Posts: 330 | Location: Oregon, U.S. of A. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green 788:Excellent post! The more I hang around Steve's pages, the more I like the guy! Except--hey Steve--everytime I click on your Bronco page, my Internet Explorer crashes. What's up with that? [Confused] So I still don't know if your Bronco is cooler than mine... [Razz]
Dan Newberry
green 788[/QB]

Hummm....guess your Bronco is inferior to mine...that's why you can't get the page.

Actually, there is an embedded MIDI file and an embeded WAV file. (The MIDI is "What'd I Say" and the WAV is the sound of the exhaust on my Bronco.)

Download a copy of Crescendo! (it can be downloaded from my main index page http://stevespages.com ). That should take care of the crash.

Is anyone else having problems with the Bronco page? http://stevespages.com/page2.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like O'Connor said, H4831 is made for the .270 so why bother with loading data, just pour the case full and go shoot it...

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Like O'Connor said, H4831 is made for the .270 so why bother with loading data, just pour the case full and go shoot it...

This same load works just as well in an /06. We used to call the load "No Shakers."

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gave up testing long ago with the 270 Win. I dump 54 gr of Imr4350 and seat any ol' 130 gr bullet with CCI 200s. This load always shoots great.

Posts: 323 | Location: Keithville, La. USA | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Thanks for the help, Steve. I got in... Sharp vehicle, to be sure. And yeah, probably cooler than mine... [Frown]

I have a 1981, red with a black roof, and a 4" lift and 33" tires. It's good in the fields, but gets awful gas mileage, and does not have A/C [Frown]

Take care,

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
The powder Win uses is WW-785 or H-450, they are the same thing. 59 to 60gr's is a very good load in the .270 with a 130gr bullet.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
57 grains of AA 3100 or IMR 4831 (same thing with different labels) under 130 grain Ballistic Tips, better yet 130 Solid Base. (Everything I like gets discontinued.)

Just enough faster than H 4831 to make it easier to get enough in the case.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green 788:
Thanks for the help, Steve. I got in... Sharp vehicle, to be sure. And yeah, probably cooler than mine... [Frown]

I have a 1981, red with a black roof, and a 4" lift and 33" tires. It's good in the fields, but gets awful gas mileage, and does not have A/C [Frown]

Take care,

Dan

Did you take a look at the "After Market" page...that shows what I have done to the Bronco after Ford finished with it.

And here is what my '81 looked like...
 -

[ 11-21-2002, 06:06: Message edited by: ricciardelli ]