Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Selection
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
I have never reloaded, but I have all of the equipment I have set up now. I purchased powder and primers this weekend. I now want to look at bullets. I will load a .300 Rem SAUM with 180 grain bullets primarily for whitetail / elk., 7mm Rem. Mag for longer range whitetail, and I want an extremely accurate load out of my new Model 700 VLS in .243 Win.

I am thinking about Scirrocco 180 gr. for the .300, Scirrocco 150 gr. for the 7, and 55 Grain Blitzking for the .243. Any suggestions? Remember, the .243 Win I am playing with. I want long range accuracy out of the 24' heavy barrel.

Thanks guys

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard.

The bullet choices you have mentioned sound o.k. However, I have had experience with the scirocco bullets in my .300 Win Mag and based on that experience and the multitude of posts here on the subject I have been experimenting with and plan to stay with the Nosler line of products. I am becoming very fond of the accubond bullets, and I just recently saw my first box of 180 grain .308 caliber accubonds. The look pretty sweet. They are also manufacturing a 140 grain 7mm accubond, which in my opinion would be the ultimate long range antelope bullet in you 7mm RM. Just because I love the Nosler line of products I shoot the 55 grain Ballistic Silvertip out of my .243 Winchester.

FWIW.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used the Scirrocos, but there are reports of excessive barrel fouling due to the alloy of the jackets -- very good for mushrooming but a tad "tacky" in the barrel. It stands to reason that if this is a problem with those bullets, then the higher the velocity the greater the problem. You might look out for this.

I have used both the 70 and 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips in my .243 HB and both are superb, as I suspect would be the very similar Sierras. Between the two weights, the lesser wind drift and greater ballistic coefficient of the 70 grain bullet probably makes it the better long range performer.

Every rifle is an INDIVIDUAL because chambers, barrel dimensions, and bore surface vary enough that what works in one rifle won't (and can even be dangerous) in another. Don't take anyone's "pet" load and use it exactly if it is anywhere close to consensus maximums -- always work your load up to suit YOUR rifle, even if it is "identical" to somebody elses.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There has been quite a bit of discussion of late regarding the use of Sciroccos in magnum calibers. Use the search facility to dig up some of those threads. I think the general concensus is that Sciroccos expand a tad much when used in magnums. Accubonds or the good old Partition might be better choices. A lot of people seem to swear by the North Fork bullets for both accuracy and premium performance.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried the 165 sciroccos out of my 300wsm and they just did not shoot for sour apples, inconsistent being the operative word. Switched that one over to 180 partitions and it's at an inch before messing with the seating depth.

As far as the 243 goes, I don't think that it really matters (within reason) brand to brand at that size. If you want long range accuracy, I would tend to go with the heavier weight for the higher BC. Had extremely good luck with 65 grain V-max and imr-3031 out of my 243. switching that one over to 55g ballistic tips.

I'm kind of partial to noslers if you can't tell. As for a little input on reloading for your big game rifles, have you ever heard of a partition failing or not acting as described?

Posts: 108 | Location: not where I was... | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Quote:

and I want an extremely accurate load out of my new Model 700 VLS in .243 Win.

and 55 Grain Blitzking for the .243. Any suggestions? Remember, the .243 Win I am playing with. I want long range accuracy out of the 24' heavy barrel.

Thanks guys

For the 243 I'm finding out that the 55-58 grain bullets are great for about 400 yards but if you want a true long range load you want to get a longer, heavier bullet with a higher BC. The smaller bullets slow down pretty quickly and the wind really pushes them around at long range. On calm days they work great as far as you can see to shoot them, but you really have to know your wind doping when the breeze comes up.

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTH-

On the 300 for elk, I'd stick with Nosler Partitions. Tried & true...

On the 243, I'd try either 70 gr Ballistic Tips or 70 gr Sierra MatchKings. I use a lot of both, and they both shoot extremely well. Since you are talking long range with it, you might also want to try the 95 gr Ballistic Tips. They'll "carry" better than the 55's. I've used them as well, and they work fine. Experiment a bit, but don't be surprised if you find yourself settling on the 70 gr BT or SMK.

Good luck and have fun!

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys, I goofed. The .243 has a 26" barrel and I the more I consider it, the 9 1/8" twist may not be suited well for the lighter bullets.

I keep hearing the barrel fouling thing from Sciroccos...I'm just unsure. It is all confusing for a guy who has always purchased factory ammo.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have a 1 in 10" barrelled 243 that shoots the 58 grn Vmax great and the 55 grn Sierra's only so-so but the Vmax bullets are longer because of the plastic tip. With a <10" twist I'd definately try the 75 - 90 grain bullets first though.

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't really see how you can arbitarily choose which bullet you're gonna shoot. If you're looking for accuracy. There are lots of excellent bullets out there that will do everything you desire. You have to shoot them however to find out which one works best in your rifle. None of them are magic despite all the hype to the contary. In my 7mags, I have found the 160gr Grand Slams and Partitions to do all I need. Actually, a 160gr Hornady probably would have worked just as well but the GS and NP gave me a greater sense of comfort.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
beemanbeme,
You are exactly right. I am trying to save time and cash. I live within easy driving of Gamaliel Shooting Supply (www.gamaliel.com). I bought a pound of IMR 4350, IMR 4831, and R14 Saturday. I realiza that as I get into this, my supply of varied materials will grow. Right now, I'm depending on you guys for good places to start.

Saturday, I plan to visit a friend who has been a handloader for years. I have my equipment set up and some supplies, but I want to see it done before I tackle the task. I have been an archer for many years and I was an accuracy fanatic with that aport. I am now really interested in tight rifle groups. If I can get a 4" group at 300-350 yards, I can kill all the big game I want, but that isn't fun. Shooting half-dollar sized groups at 400 yards holds my interest and although I may never get there, it will be fun as heck trying.

Again, you are exactly right. I will just have to try some loads. However, I have only one box of bullets. I'm just looking for starting places. I lay awake in the bed last night and could not sleep for thinking about bullets and powders. I haven't been this excited about something for quite some time!!!

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Quote:

BTH-

On the 300 for elk, I'd stick with Nosler Partitions. Tried & true...

On the 243, I'd try either 70 gr Ballistic Tips or 70 gr Sierra MatchKings. I use a lot of both, and they both shoot extremely well. Since you are talking long range with it, you might also want to try the 95 gr Ballistic Tips. They'll "carry" better than the 55's. I've used them as well, and they work fine. Experiment a bit, but don't be surprised if you find yourself settling on the 70 gr BT or SMK.

Good luck and have fun!

And another 6mm bullet is the Sierra 75HP, shoots in the 2s and 3s in my 6mmRem., they seemed to shoot better than the 70MKs, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I am trying to save time and cash.

I will just have to try some loads.

However, I have only one box of bullets.

Try www.shootersproshop.com for seconds on Nosler bullets. Pick up a few different weights of Ballistic Tips to try in your 243. They look & shoot like "firsts", and you can save enough money to invest in a variety of bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quartering on hit on a 2900# (live weigth) Whitetail doe.

That's GOT to be a new record!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If there was only one bullet manufacturer in the whole world--?? Hornady--if you can't find a load for any caliber in their line up that does the epitome in the shooting/hunting sport, take up bow hunting..And they cost a lot less than those new super duper "designer bullets".

Posts: 42 | Location: middleburg, fl | Registered: 19 August 2003Reply With Quote