Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

rifle primer pocket tightener
 Login/Join

posted
two or three years ago I ran across information on a tool used to tighten rifle primer pockets. If I recall, it had a post the case slipped over and a die that went over the head and was hit with a mallet to displace some metal to tighten the pocket. Does anyone have any info on this too?

Posts: 5 | Location: Crocus, KY | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Never heard of the tool, but I use a pair of pliers and a trash can when I find loose pockets. I feel if the pockets are stretched the rest of the case is also suspect. Sorry..........

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with ol joe. Brass is cheap. Buy some more. Also, you might want to check those loads. Might be a little hot. ...ol blue

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have an opinion about tightening primer pockets either way, but, I just read a post(maybe in this forum) a couple days ago. Someone was using coarse steel wool on a mandrel to displace enough metal to tighten the pocket up. I can't swear to this, just something I read. Good Luck in your quest.
Jeff

Posts: 101 | Location: WA | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sinclair has them.

If the case is still in good shape at the seperation ring, I see nothing wrong with fixin what happens to be a weak area in some softer brands of brass, that would be Norma and Remington especially. If you do nothing but neck size you can loose pockets fairly quick, and be nowhere near ready to scrap the brass for any other reason. If you anneal the necks and don't FL size all the time, you're likely going to loose pockets at the half life point basically. Even mild loads give some serious bolt thrust if just neck sized, this hammers the casehead harder than if they're FL sized, but you loose the case fast from seperation if you FL size all the time. A seperation will give you all the bolt thrust you want even though the action and lugs are designed to take the sudden load, trying to chamber another round when the front of the previous one never came out really sucks! Escpecially if it's an auto loader. [Wink]

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Hart also has them. They are about $30.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ya know, it may have been the Hart catalog I seen the one in. Thanks Wildcat [Smile]

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jeff57, I may have run across the mandrel you mentioned, it had a cup on the end and was used to run the mouth of a case in after chamfering to get rid of any small burrs, and reduce scratches on cast bullets. pbm61

Posts: 5 | Location: Crocus, KY | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote