New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS 505 problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got a little-used RCBS 505 scale at a gun show last week.

I just set it up and tested it and it says a 140 grain bullet is 151 grains.

I set both right hand slide adjustors on zero to start, then put the bullet in the pan and it didn't tip until I set the left hand counterweight to 150 grains and the one right hand counterweight to 1.

What could be wrong?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
OK I'm a touch confused.

To zero the 505 the left and both right slides should be at zero. The pan should be in place and you raise or lower the rear (left) scale support until the arrow points to zero.

If that is what you did the the scale should be properly set. If for some reason you can't get it to line to zero you can take the bottom off the pan and add or remove some shot.

Are you sure it was a 140? Is there any damage to the pivot points on the arms? Any crud in the groves on the base where the arm pivots?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
If its broken call RCBS they well give you a repair number sent it in and they well repair it for free.

Posts: 19448 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the little hanger tray alone in place the beam tips all the way down and with the powder tray installed, it tips all the way up. I think I'll add enough shot to even it out.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I'll add enough shot to even it out.

If you are talking about the pointer on the left side if when you put the tray in place it points high then it is already too heavy. YOu don't have enough adjustment on the left foot to level it?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul, you're right, I'd have to remove some.

No, the left foot doesn't adjust enough.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Remember to zero it with the pan on it.

Instructions.
http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/...caleInstructions.pdf

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody. I also got a detailed reply from RCBS on how to tune it up by removing or adding shot too if the leveling doesn't work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hublocker,
The previous owner or vender may have had an extra pan laying around to make the outfit complete. I've seen brass RCBS scale pans that vary in weight up to 10 grns. You'll just need to adjust the shot weight in the bottom of the pan holder.

Fishin' Magician

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

RCBS told me this:

So basically the instructions are for re-balancing a scale if the scale pan hanger assembly or pan have been replaced.
They sent me a pdf and it won't reproduce for me to copy.

Set poises for zero and if it doesn't balance, add or subtract weight from the shot cup.

You take the hanger assembly off, take the pan off and open up the shot cup. Put the shot in the pan and put the shot cup back together but don't over tighten the screw.

Hook the scale pan hanger into the stirrup.

Put the pan into the hanger and then remove shot one at a time until it balances.(they don't say this, but obviously if it's to light you'd add shot)

Put shot back into shot pan, tighten screw (not too tight) replace powder pan and check scale . If it balances now you're ready to go.
Rugdoc is invisible Report Post Edit/Delete Message