Tools

RCBS vs. Redding dies?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any difference in quality?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Both companies make pretty good dies. I have a lot of both brands. I always buy used dies when I can and will take either brand when the price is right. Both companies provide excellent customer service and support. They even answer their E-mail.
I have measured the interior dimensions of several die sets and have found RCBS sizers the equal of any. I have one Redding die set that sizes the neck a little bit too much. It is for a black powder round so it may be explained by the wide variety of bullets used in the 40/65.
On the other side- some of the RCBS dies have a sizer die
with no top bushing for the decapping rod. The decapping rod is threaded directly into the die body. These dies are a harder to clean out than the Reddings with the large top thread.
For me there is no clear choice.
Ed

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I like both, and the Forster Benchrest dies also!

one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS does not offer dies with bushings do they? Nor do they offer special dies such as small base dies. Redding seems to have anything you want and are good quality.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The RCBS is a good die but I absolutely do not
like the small stems. I prefer the Redding much
more than the RCBS.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use both, but prefer the Redding dies. In fact, I have replaced some of my RCBS dies that I first bought when I started reloading with Redding dies. Now, I only purchase Redding dies.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
The older RCBS dies that were built in the 1970s and before were very good dies, and I own several of these sets, and have for over twenty-five years. Since the early 1980s, Redding has really come to the fore, and are likely producing the best production dies you can buy today. Only some of the custom dies, such as those made by Neil Jones, are maybe better.

I say "maybe" because when you're using Redding dies that produce ammo which shoots tiny groups on a consistent basis and doesn't overwork the brass, it's pretty hard to see a practical advantage to going with anything else.

By the way, I prefer Redding's full-length and neck bushing dies to anything else that I've ever used. I also like the fact that Redding's seating dies don't mark the bullet, which was a vexing problem with the RCBS dies that I've owned.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

RCBS does not offer dies with bushings do they? Nor do they offer special dies such as small base dies.

Not true. RCBS does offer small base sizing dies in some calibers, such as .308, .223, and others. These dies size the cases slightly smaller than regular full length sizing dies. Typically, this is for cartridges used in autoloaders and pump-action rifles because such actions do not have the camming force of a bolt action rifle and thus may not close properly on a cartridge that is too tight in their chambers.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

LE270,

"RCBS does offer small base sizing dies in some calibers, such as .308, .223, and others."

Thanks for the info, I didn't know RCBS makes small base dies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the Redding dies are much better made. I'm replacing my RCBS dies with Redding over time. Any new die is a Redding.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wayne, I think the bushing that ireload2 is referring to is the threaded plug (bushing) screwed into the top of that holds the decapping rod.

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The statement about RCBS seater dies leaving marks bothered me fopr a long time. I called RCBS and they said the seating plugs are designed off speer bullets. Well, you know the aerodynamics of the speer bullets and know any of the more "slender" bullets will not fit properly into the seating plug and get marked, and some bullets actually have a very sloppy fit in the plug. If you have an RCBS die and have 1 bullet you shoot for the caliber, RCBS will make a custom seater plug for your bullets for $16.00. Wait, that is nearly the cost of a die set! Both redding and forster seating plugs are made to hit low in the ogive for all but the MOST VLD bullets, thus no customizing necessary. Plus, with redding dies, you have the option of changing the decapping stem to one with a "floating" sizing button. Can't go wrong with Redding. However, I need to add that the redding competition seater dies are the offspring of forster seater dies. As soon as the patent ran out on forster's seater dies, redding coppied theirs, and you pay more for the redding than you do for the forster. So, if you want a high quality in-line seater for a good price, go with forster. You won't be sorry.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have quite a number of RCBS dies that have the removable bushing the decapping pin travels through. I also have several sets that don't. I've never been able to figure out which to expect when I order an RCBS die set.

BTW, over the years I have had one die set from each of Redding and RCBS which were not up to snuff. RCBS quickly repaired theirs. Redding, despite my sending the die back for service, did not bring it up to where it works properly. When I get around to it, guess I'll have to fire up the lathe and make the proper part for it myself.

Generally, I find both makes very serviceable.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have both, but find myself buying Redding when I can. They also do custom dies & RCBS has pretty much gotten out of that end of the business.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote