New
Find
Notify
Tools

7 STW
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Recently picked up a Rem 700 in 7 STW calibre.Wanted to try the 140 gr TTSX bullets with RL 25 powder. This rifle has the 26 in barrel. So far I've worked up to 84 grs of RL 25. I'm not at max in this rifle but I'm seeing some pretty good groups from a sporter weight rifle.(about 1 1/4 inches @ 200 yds). Just curious if anyone else has used RL 25 with the 140 gr Barnes and what velocities did you see? or what other powders have you had success with?
thanks for any comments.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Never used the Barnes in a STW. I normally used RL22 and 7828.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems like the STW has lost favour

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a very alive 7STW brotherhood here.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems like the STW has lost favour

The 7STW was the new kid on the block for awhile. I owned a couple built a couple others. Biggest thing I found was to reach most of the published velocities I had to really push the pressure on any number of different rifles.

Not a thing wrong with it. I simply elected to give up a touch of velocity for something shorter and easier to carry.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ddsipe
posted Hide Post
I like Retumbo in my STW.

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
--Winston Churchill

"Oh, nothing Mom, just pounding primers with a hammer ..."

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Retumbo shot well out of a 70 I used to own. The velocities Layne published are complete BS. I shot US 869, Bmg 50 and RL 22. Best of luck.

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
with my 9.5" twist, I've had excellent results with H1000 and 160 grain Accubonds and Partitions. I have not tried the Barnes bullets in this cartridge but have no doubt they'll shoot fine. I dont know your intended quarry but with the extra capacity of the STW, the heavier bullet weights are great. Have fun with your STW, I cant say enough about mine.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote