New
Find
Notify
Tools

4831 Powder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a chance to buy some mil surplus 4831 powder for $10 a pound. Is this a fair price and is the burn rate of this powder the same as the regular IMR 4831 or closer to H 4831?

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it is H4831 - today $10 powder is OK, but this will be old stuff so check it to make sure its good. I think i'm still using some of the stuff i bought back when for 40 cents a pound. (still have about 50#'s)

Posts: 13459 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Donato- Does your source have more to sell than you are interested in? I would like to find some of the mil surplus 4831 myself. It is one of my favorite powders.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pegleg I'll check. he had two 10 lb can he wanted to sell but would not sell less than 10 lbs. They may be gone as I write this.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used surplus 4831 for years until you couldn't get it any more. A few years ago, I picked up 10# from a gentleman who had to give up shooting because of his health. When I reloaded with this "new" batch, I found it a little faster than what I had used before. I assume it was due to lot# variations.

Anyway - it is great powder and you can get load data if you can find a loading manual from the early 70' or before.

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote