New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 H&H 350gr data
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted this under the Load data for Woodleigh heavy bullets? thread but that thread got a little off track (and long) so I decided to also post the info here under a new topic.

Load data from the Barnes Bullets - Reloading Manual Number One (Copyright 1992) for the .375 H&H Mag using the 350gr Barnes Original bullet. (This is a lead core bullet; NOT an "X" bullet. It's very similar in construction to the Woodleigh.)

Note: I do not know what kind of pressure testing Barnes did for Manual Number One. It's not stated in the manual. Under the notes for the .375 H&H, the manual states: "When shooting for this manual, we used Barnes brass, Federal 215 primers and a 26 inch barrel."

I wanted to post this data as I thought some here may find it helpful and useful.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Couple quick points. First the Barnes original is NOT a Woodleigh! The Woodleigh jacket is tapered and in places about three times thicker than the Barnes. That right there will (or should) increase operating pressure a tad. Two the 66 grain load that started this entire fiasco, which you are still fighting about, was described as a "mild" load. According to Barnes it is a near MAX load with their THIN skinned bullets.

The 375 H&H is SAAMI speced to 62,000 psi max. I think I said that 66 grain load with the 350 WOODLEIGH was around 63800 psi. Probably still realistic. I sure as hell would not start off with Barnes' near max load with a 350 Woodleigh!

Sorry man, but Ray IS still off base with his "mild" load statement.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope ASS CLOWN wonders by this one, after the tech talk BS he hung on my about my globliberated estamated Texas guesstamate that 66.0 grs of RL-15 was the load I settled on in my rifle with a 350 gr. Woodleigh...Hell, I'm a half grain under max, he'll crap when I up the load to 67 or 68, as surely I can go beyond the book max!!, well maybe...

According to him I was way out of line with that load and was assured of sudden death on my next shot and he could prove it with his saturday special hand operated crank computer program on gun pressure...You can get the set for $1.98 and a Corn flakes box top you know, then go on the internet and claim expertise...

Posts: 41994 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
AC, you are really acting like your handle. I find your personal attacks speak volumes of the inner ASS CLOWN and what your all about. Why don't you go yell at the squirrels in the park. They may believe you actually have something to say.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Get some Prozac, or something! I was merely attempting to point out that your "MILD" load wasn't so mild! Grow-up and quit being such a whiny little baby!

You are 0.5 grains under a max load in Barnes test barrel shooting 350 grain Barnes Originals. Only God truly knows where you are with YOUR Woodleigh load! I was only attempting to provide a little insight, nothing more.

Rest assured I won't question your divine knowledge again, oh gawd of reloading!

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grow-up, Ray mouthed off to me first! Of course you are a little wanker yourself, so what should I expect!

ASS_CLOWN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Well it looks like ol' Ass Clown got a post in first as you were composing your message. Geeezzzz.... And then he wants to chide me that a Barnes Original is not a Woodleigh. Well, no shit Sherlock! But, the bullets are similar in construction (lead core, etc.) and at least the Barnes data should provide some guidelines as a place to start for working up a load for the 350gr Woodleigh. I've only been reloading for about 25 years and I load for a variety of cartridges. As examples: the .30-06, .300 H&H, 8x57 JS, .338-06, .338 Win Mag, .340 Weatherby, .375 H&H, .416 Rigby, .470 Nitro. But, ol' Ass Clown has a .30-06 and a .50 Beowulf ( see My Gun Collection ) plus some computer software. How are we going to compete with that? I guess he knows far more about it than we do. I suppose we just ought to throw in the towel and take up knitting for a hobby. We should leave the reloading to the real experts like Ass Clown!!!

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
The older ADI manual from 1996 listed loading data for the 350gr in the 375H&H. Using AR2209, maximum was listed as 72.0gr. I've loaded up some rounds but have yet to shoot/chronograph and verify their safety.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Ray,

Well it looks like ol' Ass Clown got a post in first as you were composing your message. Geeezzzz.... And then he wants to chide me that a Barnes Original is not a Woodleigh. Well, no shit Sherlock! But, the bullets are similar in construction (lead core, etc.) and at least the Barnes data should provide some guidelines as a place to start for working up a load for the 350gr Woodleigh. I've only been reloading for about 25 years and I load for a variety of cartridges. As examples: the .30-06, .300 H&H, 8x57 JS, .338-06, .338 Win Mag, .340 Weatherby, .375 H&H, .416 Rigby, .470 Nitro. But, ol' Ass Clown has a .30-06 and a .50 Beowulf ( see My Gun Collection ) plus some computer software. How are we going to compete with that? I guess he knows far more about it than we do. I suppose we just ought to throw in the towel and take up knitting for a hobby. We should leave the reloading to the real experts like Ass Clown!!!

-Bob F.

Man I laughed my A** of at that one.

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some more data from Geoff McDonald of Woodleigh has surfaced over at NitroExpress here too. Highest load I've chrono'd so far is 68.0gn AR2209 [H4350] for 2070 fps. So it looks like I can increase a bit still.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Con and Doug,

Good deal! With the help of the Internet, it looks like some credible load data for the 350gr bullet is being rounded up. Thanks for posting.

-Bob F.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Credible loads which follow very closely to my simulations! Well what the hell!!! Get over it big boy.

What is different about reloading a 30-06 versus a 375 H&H?

Hey I love that feline ass clown! That is too f__ing COOL!

You got any reload data for a 50 Beowulf shooting 500 grain bullets?

ASS_CLOWN

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Grow-up, Ray mouthed off to me first! Of course you are a little wanker yourself, so what should I expect!

ASS_CLOWN

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had very good success with the 350g woodleigh fmj using our S341 and getting around 2390 with a variance of between 2380 and 2405. very satisfactory if not too fast...

Posts: 107 | Location: Johannesburg South Africa | Registered: 18 June 2004Reply With Quote