New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer Selection
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any difference between brands of primers? Quality?

I usually use CCI as that is what my stepfather had when I started loading and I worked up loads with them that I didn't want to retest. I have used federal for pistol though and for Magnum Rifle. Anybody notice anything different between the brands as far as quality and consistency? I know that there are match grade primers out there but I am just talking about hunting rifles here, so don't want to spend a fortune to load hunting ammo.

Thanks guys.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
There's been lots of tests, including pictures of the flash. There IS a difference, sometimes quite startling. That's the reason for match primers. Try other brands. I typically test all the primers I have, about a dozen different ones, when the majority the load development is done in a new load. About 75% of the time there is little or no difference in accuracy or velocity. Another 10% or so deteriorates groups, but the remainder will improve a lousy load significantly.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
I use the Federal Gold Medal 210 amd 215 w/ all my IMR, HOD.,and Reloader powder.

I use CCI BR2 w/VARGET.

Never looked back at reg primers, why skimp on primers. You deserve the best!

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hadn't taken a look at the cost difference between the regular primers and high end ones, considering how much I actually get out and shoot I willjust bite the bullet and try some of them out. thanks guys.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto,...as long as your buying,..buy the match primers.

I also use the 205, 210, and 215 match,..purchased in lots of 1000.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a test posted on www.castingstuff.com on primers and it ranks them. Not real scientific but gives some usable data. Also has some data on SD's of primers, based on the test, which show which has the most consistent power. Doesn't rate heat or durration, just brisance.

Posts: 25 | Location: NW | Registered: 12 November 2002Reply With Quote