THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Bullet Expansion ? -- 130 grain Nosler Solid Base --

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Expansion ? -- 130 grain Nosler Solid Base --
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of doctorxring
posted
What is the minimum velocity at which a
130 grain .277 Nosler Solid Base could be
counted on to expand decently on whitetail
size game ?

thanks kindly, dxr

Happiness is a tight group

Posts: 1524 | Location: Don't Mess With Texas | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nosler says 1800 to 3100fps. I've found their max velocity figure to be very modest as I've been using 30cal 150 SB bullets at 3400fps for 25+yrs with NO problems. SBs as far as I'm concerned are the best cup and core bullets ever made!

til later

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Not sure, but I like them enough to where I bought 1500 from the 2nds Proshop. I get better accuracy in one of my 270s with those than I ever did with Btips, and they were great!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EP:
Nosler says 1800 to 3100fps. I've found their max velocity figure to be very modest as I've been using 30cal 150 SB bullets at 3400fps for 25+yrs with NO problems. SBs as far as I'm concerned are the best cup and core bullets ever made!

til later

I'm pretty sure those are impact vel. not muzzle vel. bewildered

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I made the longest shot I've ever attempted, just short of 500 yards, on a smallish whitetail doe with a .270/130 Nosler Solid Base. Muzzle velocity was 3200 fps, so you can do the math as to the impact velocity. At any rate, whatever the impact velocity, the shot was a broadside, dead-center lung shot and the little deer dropped on the spot. Thus, I would assume that expansion was fully acceptable at this velocity, whatever it was.

As a previous poster stated, the Nosler Solid Base is likely the best cup-and-core bullet ever produced.

Since you are asking about this particular bullet and lower velocities, I'm guessing that you may be considering it for a 6.8 Remington? If so, I would feel confident with it at the distances for which this cartridge would be appropriate -- say inside 200 yards or maybe just a little more.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fred,your right! I should have explained it better in that I use them at a muzzle velocity of 3400fps BUT have had shots so close that my impact velocities are well above 3100fps and have had no problems.

til later

One of Us
Picture of doctorxring
posted Hide Post
SC --

You are very perceptive sir ! Yes, that
is exactly what I have in mind. And now
I'm headed over to the Nosler 2nd's site...

thanks ! Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I made the longest shot I've ever attempted, just short of 500 yards, on a smallish whitetail doe with a .270/130 Nosler Solid Base. Muzzle velocity was 3200 fps, so you can do the math as to the impact velocity. At any rate, whatever the impact velocity, the shot was a broadside, dead-center lung shot and the little deer dropped on the spot. Thus, I would assume that expansion was fully acceptable at this velocity, whatever it was.

As a previous poster stated, the Nosler Solid Base is likely the best cup-and-core bullet ever produced.

Since you are asking about this particular bullet and lower velocities, I'm guessing that you may be considering it for a 6.8 Remington? If so, I would feel confident with it at the distances for which this cartridge would be appropriate -- say inside 200 yards or maybe just a little more.

Happiness is a tight group

Posts: 1524 | Location: Don't Mess With Texas | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote