THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep System

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep System
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep System with Hardened High Speed Steel Chamfer Debur Tool and Primer Pocket Scrapers with Trimmer

Anyone use this machine? Do you like the case trimmer function?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth it gets pretty good reviews over at Midway USA. I use an old RCBS Trim Mate Prep Center but since I started using 3 Way Trim cutter heads the only thing I use it for is flash hole uniforming and cleaning primer pockets.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Citrusdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
the only thing I use it for is flash hole uniforming and cleaning primer pockets.

Agree with this, and also use it for chamfering the inside and outside of the case mouth after trimming. I do not use the trimmer on the Frankford unit.

Posts: 56 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Do you not like the trimmer?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Do you not like the trimmer?
If you do not have a case trimmer yet, this one maybe the perfect one. As for me I went a different way a long time ago. It looks interesting but not enough for me to change the way I do things.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Citrusdude
posted Hide Post
I have a Giraud power trimmer and a Wilson for the ones I don't have holders for. Thanks.

Posts: 56 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I don’t really need/want a trimmer either. Think I will go with the Lyman Case Prep Xpress.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Citrusdude:
I have a Giraud power trimmer and a Wilson for the ones I don't have holders for. Thanks.

me too! love em.

Posts: 1546 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep System with Hardened High Speed Steel Chamfer Debur Tool and Primer Pocket Scrapers with Trimmer

Anyone use this machine? Do you like the case trimmer function?

I've been using this machine, including the trimmer for about three months and really liking it. It takes a bit of practice setting up for the cartridge and length but once it's done you get good consistent cases. The trimmer does leave the case mouth a little rough but the inside and outside chamfering tools clean it up real good.

Posts: 402 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Citrusdude:
quote:
the only thing I use it for is flash hole uniforming and cleaning primer pockets.

Agree with this, and also use it for chamfering the inside and outside of the case mouth after trimming. I do not use the trimmer on the Frankford unit.
I use mine the same way you use yours.

I tried setting up the case trimmer, but I found it a bit of a hassle given that I typically trim cases of different calibers at one setting. So I reverted back to my Redding Match case trimmer because I can change calibers much more quickly.

(I notice that one of the reviews of that trimmer gave it a "1-star" rating and complained about a grinding noise/feel of it. I had the same problem, but I disassembled the crank and collet and cleaned the hell out of everything in the vicinity that I could reach. I got a ton of gunk out of places I never imagined could gather gunk, and it's health has returned.)

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I very recently got this and have only done about 100 cases.

That said, I'm happy with it. I was using a manual RCBS trimmer before, and it took a long time. I bought an extra carbide cutter because it was cheap and recommended in the reviews, but I am starting using the stock one until it gives me a problem.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Have not tried this, but have tried similar contraptions in the past.

Always went back to the Wilson case trimmer, and the RCBS deburring tools you can put in a drill.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one about five years ago.It really changed my reloading world.I used to hate case prep because of the many individual step.Now after I have my cases resized,with the Frankford,I can trim,deburr,chamfer and clean the primer pockets at a rate of 4-5 cases per minute.I'd do good to just trim that many with a conventional trimmer.Another thing I've noticed you can tell when you brass is getting hard because you will start to pick up a little chatter when you trim.This is usually around the forth or fifth firing.I haven't used my convention tools since buying this machine.When you add up the cost of each individual tool,the Frankford doesn't really cost that much more.Would I buy another?Hell yes,in a heart beat.

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the FA Platinum case prep center. My experience is identical to Baldhunter's. What used to be an onerous chore is now much more enjoyable with a huge time savings. The trimmer set up only takes a minute or so for a new cartridge. The design of this tool sets length from the datum to the case mouth (instead of over all length) so you may see a slight amount of length variation (.001-.003) depending on uniformity of the case sizing operation and hardness of the brass (due to spring back or lack thereof). Also, the case chatter observation was spot on. You can definitely feel the difference between new or annealed brass and brass with a few firings. I did buy the RCBS primer pocket cleaners and replaced the stock tools just because. I'm not sure one does a better job than the other. I've had mine for 2 or 3 years and would replace it immediately if something happened to this one.

Posts: 103 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 07 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of hundred more rounds through it. Still like it.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote