New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: New Chronograph... Flippin' a coin
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I made a ballistic pendulum. It works and was free. Then I got a Accuchron in the mid 1960's that was on the base 8 number system and used metalized paper screens. When chrono's with the eyes came out I got a Pact 1. It was ok but it would miss too many shots. I had a home made screen holder which at 5' may have contributed to this. So just a year or so ago I got new sensors or screens for it along with Pacts 2' screen holder. That's when the trouble started as the velocities seemed to be about 75 fps low.

I called Pact and was told that if the clock was running it was calibrated right on. I asked about the rest of it meaning the screens. Pact said to try reversing the screens and signed off. At this point I was ready to just go out and buy a new Chronograph.

I felt that the Oehler was overpriced. No facts on it but just a feeling. So I called CED and had the most interesting long conversation with Jim there. He really cares and is into it. I was ready to order a CED when a friend offered a used Oehler 35P at a good price.

So that's what I am using now. The Oehler shows lower extreme spreads and seems calibrated right on. It came with two simple tripods. Other chronographs require a camera tripod which will work but my range has a raised firing line which drops off fast and the two tripods at different heights are better all around for lining up and not moving from the blast or wind.

I fiddled with the Pact some more but it's too cold to work on it outside. Next spring I may calibrate it and give it to a friend.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell you what after sitting back and reading this thread with no dog in the fight, go buy your CED Millenium. It is pretty obvious to an outsider in this discussion that you have made up your mind. You wanted others to tell you how good the CED is. That is the only reason for this thread. You are not comparison shopping, you want to feel good about your purchase.

It doesn't seem like anybody else has a CED Millenium. Maybe you need to check and see how long they have been available compared with the 35P. I have only used one CED product and that was a competition timer, it worked well.

So, buy your CED Millenium and let us know how well it works. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Berfore you give up on the old chrono have your tried putting a piece of frosted scotch tape over ea. light sensor?? I had a "pro chrono" that was driving me nuts and someone said try it. I don't think it's ever "missed" reading a shot since then. I now store it with duct tape over the sensors to keep out dust and dirt and before leaving for the range I pull off the duct tape and put on a piece of scotch tape and it works perfect. Somehow it makes "seeing that fast moving shaddow" much easier AND I think this trick works for most any chrono.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CED is the one for me!! Hold off on the optional infrared upgrade, unless you want to use it indoors! Mine works just fine on overcast days! I just remove the top skyscreen plates! This trick should work on snow days also,but I havn`t tried it yet! Buy it, you will like it! $180.00 is all you need! Ed,

Posts: 68 | Location: Swartz Creek, Mich. | Registered: 26 March 2003Reply With Quote