New
Find
Notify
Tools

Subsonic loads for .22Hornet?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have no experience with the .22Hornet so I', just curious about how well it will perform loaded to subsonic velicities.

I have a .222rem but have never tried down-loading it to 1080fps.

Is there any reason the Hornet should be more accurate or consistent at lower charges than the .222rem, given that it is a smaller case and at reduced powder charges the Hornet case will not be half empty?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
One difficulty with the smaller cases is achieving consistant charge weights. I wouldn't expect the hornet to be more accurate then a 222 when loading subsonic.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Checking some load data for the hornet I found that it uses a similar charge (8grn H4895) that I use for very light loads in a .357mag handgun.

With this load there is very little report, so can I assume the hornet to be a quite round even loaded to full velocity(aoart from the sonic boom)?

[ 07-08-2003, 00:09: Message edited by: EXPRESS ]

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lite Loads for .22 Hornet
Here are my loads. Some are lite while some are normal velocity.
9.7 grains of 2400....2600 fps
7.3 grains os IMR 4227....about 1850
4.1 grains of Unique
I live in the City and have a garden that Groundhogs love to eat. The 1850 fps loads works well on them. I have tried the 7.3 4227 load out to 150 yards and go a 1/2 inch group. The Unique load, so far, is a 25 yard load.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EXPRESS:
...so can I assume the hornet to be a quite round even loaded to full velocity(aoart from the sonic boom)?

So how round is it?

Sorry I couldn't resist. Actually it depends on how you define quiet. Somebody was telling me the other day that he was loading some sub-sonic rounds because they were so quiet. I guess that was compared to some max effort loads. Many pistol loads are sub-sonic but NOT quiet, exceeding the .22 LR in DBs even when fired in rifle length barrels.

I've been playing with these quiet loads and found some recipes are just BS, others are moderately successful, and all are limited in range. With some this is due to accuracy more than velocity!

As to the full effort .22 Hornet, I think it is not so quiet at all.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
arent all hornet's subsonic?

lol
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote