Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS sidewinder problems
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted
Some 15+ years ago a buddy and I went splitski's on a Sidewinder. he kept it for a while and then I did...both outside in a garage storage area in the Texas heat. I haven't used it in maybe 5-6 years, dug it out the other day and loaded it up with media and brass...and when I pulled the metal cap off to dump the media and brass parts of the tumblers neck ring broke off where the metal cap fits tight.

I can still fit the cap into the neck securely but should I contiue to use it?
Since I can now buy a turbo tumbler for less than prices I'm seeing for a new Sidewinder tumbler body from RCBS and Midway ... where is the best cheapest place to buy another Sidewinder tumbler if/when this one completely craps out?
Which leads to the question about turbo tumblers - what to buy?? ... @ ?? $s for a 500+ rounds a year usage ...'cause at what I've seen so far of what Sidewinders replacement tumblers cost these days I'll never buy another one.
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a RCBS Sidewinder for several years. As far as I can remember it has been an expensive tumbler.

First I decap with oversize decapping die then I wash my brass using hot tap water and Cascade automatic dish washer detergent. Brass is clean without hull dust to affect sizing die. Oven dry at 170F (keep from annealing cases)or air dry. I don't know who makes other tumblers that are approved for washing. Therefore, I'd keep the Sidewinder and give RCBS a call.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCBS will fix it or send you the parts to fix it yourself free. No questions asked. They got about the best warranty department in the business. Things totally my fault were fixed or replaced. Go to a gun show and buy up a bunch of rusted F-ed up dies. They make them right for nothing. I bet you can send that sucker back and they will make it like new, they do not care whos fault it was.